Chapter 2: These Reasons

*Three years later*

               “Hey Mel, can you hand me the glue gun?” Liam asked from the other side of my room.

               “Liam, I’m busy right now. I’m kind of working on our report,” I replied back.

               “Pleeeeaase? This foam ball is not going to glue itself down!” Liam stared at me with his big brown puppy eyes. Oh no not this. I can’t resist this. That’s his way of getting around to people. I just tried to overcome those eyes but I just couldn’t.

               “UGH. Okay.” I complained. I got up and handed him the glue gun which was only about 6 feet away from him. He is just so lazy.

               “While you’re at it, wanna make me a sandwich?” He smirked. I punched him in his arm, hurtfully but playfully.

               “Heeey! You know I’m just kidding! I’ve been your best friend since freshmen year. You should know that I always kid with you.”

               “And you as my best friend, Liam, should also know that I don’t like guys who make sexist comments.” I started to walk away with smirks on both our faces. “Oh and Liam, if you say one more sexist thing to me, I will put hot glue all over you.” We both laughed as we went back to our different parts of the project.

               As I sat down on my desk chair, I turned around. I looked at Liam. He was wearing a tank top to show his muscles off in which I couldn’t resist looking at. I just love goofing around with him. He’s such a fun person to be with. The word “best friend” just makes me cringe inside. I love being his best friend and all but sometimes, I wish we could be more than friends. Sometimes, I wonder what it’s like to be his girlfr-

               Marimba started to play. It was Liam’s phone. He picked it up. “Hey babe!” Liam greeted with a smile. It must be Karina, his girlfriend. Karina was one of the girls who made fun of me at swim meets. She traded swimming for cheerleading, of course. Liam doesn’t even know that Karina was one of the girls. I’ve never told him. He’s in love, well I think he is. I didn’t want to ruin that for him. I kind of just ignore her and avoid contact. I tried to get away from the past.

               “Oh hey Mel?” Liam stated.

               “Yeah?”

               “Karina invited me to dinner with her parents. May I go?”

               “Uhm yeah sure. I’ll just finish up here.”

               “You’re the greatest! I’ll talk to you tomorrow! Bye!” Liam packed up his things into his backpack but still on the phone with Karina. He ran out the door.

               I sat down on my bed. I laid my head down on the pillow. See, ever since I meet Liam that first day of science, something just clicked. I couldn’t get enough of him. He’s the reason I stopped cutting. He’s the reason I became more social. He’s the reason I made it back on the swimming team. He’s the reason my world is so much brighter. He’s the reason I’m still alive. Liam always supports me on my decisions. He comes to my swim meets with my mom, and he’s also there for me when I have my period. He just comes in with some ice cream and classic movies. That’s what I love about him.

                                                            That’s why; I’m IN love with him.