Chapter 38 - Everything's fine...

"Oh, hey Cooper. What are you doing here?" Lily asked.

I swallowed the cereal I had in the mouth. "I just...something happened at Rhett's place, and it got really bad, so I sort of, well, came here."

"And you couldn't just work it out?" Lincoln asked.

"Lay off her guys. It got really bad over there last night." Link butted in, saving me.

We finished breakfast in awkward silence. I helped Christy out with the dishes, before settling down outside to play with Jade. She was an awesome dog.

"Hey Super-Cooper." Link said, sitting down beside me.

"Hey Link." I said, smiling. Jade had curled up and fallen asleep in my lap.

"Listen, honey, I just wanted to check that you're okay. Some harsh words were thrown last night...and I just want to check you're alright."

"Yeah, I'm okay." I assured him. "And I kind of understand where he's coming from. Everything HAS been about me, and I think it's time to kind of ease off the whole 'everyone be nice to her because she's new' thing. He's jealous, and he misses spending time with his Dad."

"Wow Cooper, I honestly don't know how to respond to that."

I shrugged and patted the sleeping puppy on my lap. And then I gasped.

"Is everything okay?" Link asked.

My medication.

"Yeah, everything's good." I stammered.

"Sure?"

"Totally."

Link nodded unsurely and got up from beside me. "Um, I'll be in the study if you need me."

"Okay. Thanks Link." I smiled.

"Oh, and Cooper,"

I glanced up at Link.

"You're welcome to stay for as long as you need, remember that."

I smiled. Link was the best. So was Rhett, but Locke was...

I pushed it out of my mind and tried to concentrate on something else. Missing medication wasn't that bad, was it? Oh crap, I didn't have last night's either... But it wouldn't make that big of a difference, would it?

As Jade started licking my face, I thought about what would happen. I can handle a few headaches, can't I? And it's not like I'm going to be rushed to the ER, right?

I grabbed the dog toy off of the ground and threw it for Jade for a bit longer, before heading back inside. I joined Link in the lounge room and played on my iPad for a bit. He was doing a bit of online shopping for Lily's upcoming birthday.

We must've been sitting there for about two hours before I had to interrupt the silence.

"Link?"

"Mhm?" He replied, not looking up from his screen.

"I'm not feeling very well."

Link bolted out of his seat and rushed over to me. "What's wrong?"

"I, just, my head hurts, and my stomach, is-"

I had to cut the conversation to run to the bathroom, where I began throwing up profusely. Link bent down to my side and rubbed circles into my back soothingly.

"What's going on in here?" I heard a voice that I recognised as Christy's ask.

"Cooper's sick." Link said plainly.