Chapter 23 The Right Thing

Chapter 23

The Right Thing

    I felt the comfort of warm water drip against my back as I slowly opened my eyes. The first thing to come into my observation was a pile of blood stained rags lying along the ground. I tilted my head over to my side and looked up to see my mother dabbing another cloth into a bowl and then ringing it out. Her eyes were filled with tears.

    “Mother?” I sat up slowly rubbing my eyes. “Where am I?”

    “Aurora, do not move too hastily,” Mother cautioned, putting her hand on my arm as I sat up. “You have lost a lot of blood.

    As I scanned the room, I observed a neat British style room similar to the one I spoke with Mother before, only this one was smaller. I had been placed on a soft feather bed so she could treat my wounds. Feeling movement as I placed my feet on the ground, I concluded that we must be on a ship.

    “Mother, where am I?” I repeated in a darker tone.

    Still ignoring the question, she placed her hand briefly over her mouth and let out a frustrated breath. “Oh, Aurora, why couldn’t you have just stayed before. This could have been avoided.”

    “Beckett,” I uttered in a tone filled with bitterness as I recalled what happened. “Just wait until I get my hands on him.”

    The moment I stood up, fiercely, my mind grew clouded with dizziness. I was forced to grab on the Mother’s arm for support and she gently sat me back down.

    “Aurora, you have already lost too much blood and your wounds remain open,” Mother warned. “If you lose any more blood then you could die. We all thought you were going to, but Beckett ordered…”

      “He had Jones do just enough to weaken me,” I interjected realizing the epiphany. “He knew just what I was planning.”

      “And what would that be, Aurora?” Mother stammered, rising to her feet. “Whatever it was nearly got you killed. Who were you even doing this for, Jack? Is he really worth it?”

      “Its more than just Jack?” I protested, positioning my hands firmly by my side.

      Mother folded her arms. “Oh really, and what then might it be?”

      “I, uh…”

      Before I could finish we heard a knock on the door. At Mother’s beckoning, a British soldier entered, standing up straight and proper.

      “Lord Beckett requests an audience with the Lady Aurora,” he stated firmly.

       Lady Aurora?

      “Absolutely not!” Mother fumed causing him to take a step back. “Can you not see she is in no condition for that?”

      “I am sorry, my lady,” He muttered rather intimidated. “It is Lord Beckett’s wishes.”

      I stood up more slowly this time. “Fine, I will go.” I turned my head to Mother and shrugged. “I better see what he wants.”

      As I walked over to the soldier he put his hand up and insisted, “Lord Beckett wishes you to be presented as a lady?”

      When I just starred at him blankly, he motioned to a maid, carrying an ivory flowered dress, to come forward.

      I rolled my eyes and let out a huff. “You have got to be kidding me.”