Chapter 12 A Necessary Betrayal

Chapter 12

A Necessary Betrayal

I told Jack about what I found out about, but unfortunately, I had no idea where this key could be. He, however, did not appear all that concerned and already seemed to know where to go. I must say, Jack Sparrow amazes me more and more by the moment.

Now, my job was to wait and keep Davy Jones from catching on. It may seem simple but Jones does have quite a keen sense for betrayal. The last person here who merely just mentioned a mutiny was given thirty latches and then hurled in to Davy Jones’ Locker. I know I tread among dangerous seas, but if this works out it will all be worth it.

The moment the sun fell below the sea, I crept to Jones’s chambers to assure he was occupied. I found him, once again, entranced by his own music. Hoping this would keep him busy long enough, I snuck off the ship making my way to the Pearl. I found Jack, alone below deck.

“Jack,” I uttered just loud enough for him to hear me.

He turned around, not startled by my voice. “Well, I seem to be quite popular with Jones’ crew members today.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, looking at him bedazzled, as my heart sank like an anchor thrown in the ocean from uneasiness.

“Your friend came to visit me just a few moments ago,” Jack explained as he clumsily strolled closer to me, holding up his hand. “He gave this.”

“The black spot,” I gasped, taking hold of his wrists to take a closer look at the dark boil that appeared on his hand. “Who gave this to you?”

“Someone I thought of as a friend,” Jack replied, snatching back his hand.

“Bootstrap,” I muttered, unable to think of anyone else. “He did not say anything about this to me.”

“Apparently Jones is coming after me sooner than I was prepared for,” Jack stated as he fidgeted around in his coat pockets.

“But you have only been captain for… never mind, of course that would not matter to Jones.” I paused for a moment. “I still do not understand why Jones has not informed me of this.”

“Perhaps you are no longer his star pupil,” Jack suggested, his eyes still in his coat pocket.

“What are we going to do?” I panicked running my fingers through my wavy tangled hair. “If Davy Jones no longer trusts me then…”

“Not to worry, love,” Jack condoned pulling something out of his pocket. “I have already found the first step to taking down Jones.”

“You mean you found the key?” I rushed over to him anxiously to see what he contained in his hand. My face fell when I saw that it was only a brown cloth. “That is just a drawing.”

“I know that,” Jack replied in a more confident tone. “But this drawing is of the key we need to acquire. Is that correct?”

“Well, I suppose…” I scratched my head, uncertainly. “Even if it is, how are we supposed to find the key with a drawing as our only lead?”

“I have been informed by the woman of whom I sought out, that this key we so desire is on board the ship of which you linger upon, my dear.”

“You mean it’s on the Dutchman?” As he nodded affirming this, I then asked, “How do we get it?”

He walked in closer to me, brushing a strand of hair from my forehead. “I believe the best chance we might have is for the one of us that lives on the Dutchman is the one that should be able to obtain the key.”