Chapter Fourteen

The noise of crumpling paper distracted Helen from her book. She sighed at the idea of having to get up and see what it was.

Her thought was proved correct when she found a single piece of paper lying in front of her front door. She wanted to read what sort of event was taking place now, she knew she had nothing to do with it and was curious of what her husband was up to.

Helen bent down to pick it up and the paper creased in Helen's hot and sweaty hands when she read what was taking place. What is the meaning of this? Her mind stressed coming up with some solution of why her husband had done such a thing. She had to contact him straight away.

She flipped over the paper and confusion clouded her face. There was a little note just for her, "Don't worry Helen, I am doing this for a reason you don't have to know, just host the event and look beautiful like always, yours sincerely, Rembrandt Alsandair."

Helen knew that she could never let her husband down, so instead of filling herself up with anger she decided to go and pick out a dress for the event.

By the time that she had reached the store the following day after they had saw the poster, the store was already filled with people taking what they could find or what looked good. Most of the racks were thinned of clothing and she was upset, she should've known that this would happen.

She rummaged through the scraps and still didn't find anything. These look nothing like the ones in movies, she mused and with that turned to walk out of the store, I'll just have to wear something I already have.

As Alexis walked on she grew jealous of the women that could sew and do tailoring, gah I knew I should've taken those classes seriously. She couldn't even remember those classes at all, she could only manage to paint a faint picture of her with a needle at hand. She did also think about paying someone to make her dress but the event was only a couple of days away and it would not be done in time, they also had to make their dresses too.

She turned to look inside another store through the window but decided not to go in by the look of the vicious throng in it. Alexis sighed and walked up to a corner before she hears hurried footsteps getting closer, she froze in her place when the footsteps stopped right beside her, like a friend.

"Hey Alexis," the familiar voice broke the silence and he outstretched his hand.

"Oh it's you! Uhm yeah hi," and she took his hand as a polite gesture. She felt something press against her skin and it stayed there even after he withdrew his own. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, the ball is coming up and do need a suit, this face can't do all the work you know." He gave a cheesy smile.

"Oh yeah right, well good luck finding something in that bare knuckle brawl. Make sure that face doesn't get ripped to shreds."

"Oh god, we can't let anything happen to my face, isn't that right?" Alexis took it as a rhetorical question and scrunched her face in disgust.

"Yeah sure, well I gotta go, I still need to gather something up." But really she wanted to know what was digging into her palm.

"Yep, I'll leave it that. See you around." He turned to leave.

"Yep see you." She answered to his toned back and turned to walk in the opposite direction.

The slight knocking on the door stirred Gabriel from his sleep. He knew he had slept in for quite a while when he saw how heavy the light had become, giving a sense that it was already midday.

He patted his hair down to make it look tamed and walked over to the door. He definitely wasn't expecting him. "Uhm what do you want?"

"That's quite rude, no "hi" or any attempt at petty conversation?"