Prologue

Unrequited love. Is it really that bad? You are able to love someone that will never hurt you in any way. You see perfection in everything they do and they lack the ability to see every mistake that you make. A perfect life with this person, whoever it is, can exist always within the lover's mind. This is why we write stories about them. But a perfect story is boring, so we scratch out the perfection and turn it into something more interesting. However, once you re-read what you've written down, it's not the same. You cannot hold this person, kiss them, and show them your love. There is no way that you can actually show them how you feel. So what do you do? You cry because you'll never receive the love that you want from the person that you read about, see on a TV screen, or cheer for from lawn seating at their concert. You'll never be too close to touch that person who doesn't even know you exist. And that's when you realize: unrequited love isn't lifting you up to Heaven, it's pulling you down into the flames of Hell.

*****

"She's so perfect." I giggle to myself as I sit down in the Motel 66 lobby.

Lauren Jauregui was performing her brand new single on The Ellen Degeneres Show, and she looked flawless. She was wearing a skin-tight black dress that hugged her curves so perfectly, as well as a pair of red high heels to make herself pop out more. Her voice sounded like an angelic choir, how it echoed through an empty room. It was a low, clear tone that slid though each song with ease and perfection.

The song ended with a bang, and I knew that I would need to get back to work soon. But I wouldn't go back yet without hearing her interview. On the TV screen, Lauren took a seat on the black couch that was adjacent to Ellen, then crossed one leg over the other. She sat in such a lady-like position, which was so different nowadays from the other celebrities.

"Lauren! That was a fantastic performance!" Ellen began. "I can already tell that your next album will rise to the top of the charts like the last one."

Lauren let out a laugh that rang like a bell in my ears, which was the most beautiful sound that I've ever heard, and replied, "Thank you, Ellen! I hope everyone enjoys it as much as the last one."

Ellen smiled and asked the first interview question, "So, what can you tell us about the new album?"

"I shouldn't say much, because I want it to be a surprise to everyone. It'll be a mix of pop and R&B, and there will be more upbeat songs on this album. It'd be awesome to see all of the fans booty poppin' on the next tour!"

"Now what exactly is a booty pop? I'm sure that the fans would love to know what you're expecting of them." Ellen smirked.

Lauren stood up and said, "You've gotta try it too, girl."

Ellen stood up and nodded. The pop star beside her started to move her hips in a crazy motion, and Ellen tried her best to follow along. Lauren began to show off her moves and Ellen totally fell out of the loop. When they finished, Lauren turned to Ellen and they both sat back down on their respective seats.

"I think I, and the fans, will be needing at least five years of dance lessons before we're booty poppin' at any concert." Ellen laughed. "Now tell me. Do you have any love interests? Is there a man who has your heart?"

Lauren shook her head and giggled, "Nope, no men. To be honest, I'm more of a ladies girl. But if you're about to ask about a woman in my life, there isn't one of those either."

I stopped watching as I heard Lauren come out as lesbian on live television. This was a shock to me and the whole country. But because she was lesbian, and I was too, there was maybe a little shred of hope left in me. This spark of hope caused me to hop repeatedly in a single spot until I ran around the lobby cheering. My boss--well, my mother--came out to tell me to get back to work when she saw me running around like a lovesick puppy.

"Mila?" my mother asked me with a smile. "Why are you so happy?"

I stopped running when I saw her. My mom had no idea that I was a lesbian, so I couldn't exactly tell her the truth about what was going on. I was going to tell her one day, but that day was not today.

"Lauren Jauregui just performed her new song on Ellen! It was so good!" I cheered.

My mother, who knew much about my obsession with Lauren, just laughed and shook her head. "Just get back to work, alright?"

"But there's nothing to do!"

"Just dust the hallway, then you can head back to the house." she said, disappearing behind a corner.

I nodded, then let out a sigh. My co-worker and best friend Normani had been sitting at the front desk watching the whole scene with amusement. She worked the front desk, where her job was to check-in and check-out guests--when there ever were any.

"You've got it so bad, Mila." Normani told me.

I walked over to the front desk and pouted, "But she's sooooo perfect, Mani Bear! If she could just breathe on me once, I'd be good for life."

"What you just said has only made my point that much more accurate. Let me guess, this whole 'coming out' situation inspired a new fanfiction?"

"Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I don't know." I smirked, knowing that she had read my mind. "How did you ever get this good at reading my mind?"

Normani simply answered, "Friends since Preschool? Plus, you're an open book. Now you should get back to work before your mother kills me."

I gave her a thumbs up, then ran off to grab my duster from the closet. As I dusted the various parts of our 60's-style motel, I continued to think about Lauren. Would she ever notice me? Would I ever be the lucky girl that gets to hold her each night? Would I ever be able to leave this town in which nothing happens? Maybe eventually, but not soon enough.