Integrity

I was walking through the forest looking for berries to pick when I heard the rustle of leaves behind me. I turned around quickly and was relived to see David instead of Peter. "What do you want David?" "I need your help." I couldn't believe that he wanted me, of all people to help him. It was so crazy that I actually started laughing, I laughed so hard that I was in hysterics. Then I looked at David's confused face and realized that he was serious. I caught my breath and said to him, " Oh wait, your actually serious!" "Uh well yeah." "Oh sorry. Well what do you want me to do then?" "I need you to help me cure my dreamshade poisoning." I honestly hated David, I thought he was a jerk. However I knew that I needed to gain his trust to gain everyone else's. "Fine I'll help you, but before I do how bad is the poisoning?" "You tell me," he said lifting up his shirt to revel his scar. I knew just by looking at it that he didn't have long at all. "Days, weeks at most. I know of a waterfall just up on that mountain that will cure dreamshade. However, there is one condition, you can never leave Neverland." "But I won't die, right?" "Right," I assured him. "Then lets go."
*************************************
       We returned to the camp and planned to leave that night. As the day turned to night David and I readied ourselves to leave for the waterfall. "What are you packing for," Syren asked making her way over to me. "If I wanted you to know I would have told you, wouldn't I," I said turning around to face Syren. "Well yeah but- ugh just tell me where your going," Syren persisted. "Fine, but only because I know you will keep on annoying me until I do. Don't tell anyone ok." I told her and she nodded her head to say yes, "I'm going to the magic waterfall to help cure David of his dreamshade poisoning." Siren looked at me like I was crazy. "Why would you want to do that? David's s jerk," she whispered leaning in so that only I could hear her. "Well for one so that he doesn't die. And so that I can gain their trust, you know Emma, Mary Margret, and David." "Ok well good luck I guess."
*************************************
David and I were hiking up the mountain, David was trying trying to make small talk but I didn't care about what he was saying. I figured I just needed to cure him and everything would be ok. "So did you have any siblings growing up, Brook," David asked following close behind me. "I had a sister and unlike you she wasn't an annoying jerk," I told him adding the snarky comment just for fun, "what about you?" "I had a brother and just like you he was a liar and a thief." "I might be a liar ,but, I'm not a thief." "What about your lost girls huh," David said turning me around to face him. He looked upset, like he couldn't believe my actions. "For your information those girls asked to come to Everland. Now let's go," I said walking ahead of him, "you're lucky that I'm even helping you," I yelled back to him.
*************************************
I was standing at the top of the mountain about to throw the rope over the side of the mountain, to pull David up, when a voice stopped me in my tracks, "Don't pull him up yet." I turned around to see Peter staring at me. "What do you want," I spat at him. "I want to make a deal," he said teleporting to become right in front of me, "I'll help you get your happy ending if you help me." "How would I help you," I asked wonder poisoning my words. "When the time comes I'll let you know." "Another thing how do you expect to give me my happy ending?" I desperately wanted to know the answer. However I knew that I couldn't take his deal no matter what, I had worked too hard to be good. But much more importantly, I could never forgive him for what he did to Syren, I had forgiven him too many times. "I can get you your mother and sister back, I can get people to believe your side of the story, and lastly I can help you get back at your father." His deal was extremely tempting but I had to know a couple more things. "Two more things, how will you know that I have taken your deal, and why should I take your deal?" "I will know that you have taken my deal when I see the prince's dead body with your dagger in it at the top of that peak. And remember what happened the last time you didn't listen to me, be smart Brook, I know you are, take the deal, you know that I've never wanted to hurt you." I thought I heard sympathy in his voice, but I told myself that it was fake. Then just as soon as he had appeared he disappeared. I turned around to see David pulling himself up the side of the mountain. "Damn it David I told you to bloody wait." "Who were you talking to Brook." I suddenly felt all the blood drain from my face. This was one situation I wasn't prepared for. "I was talking to myself. It's a habit I picked up from all my years of being alone," I decided not to tell him that all those years alone were spent in an asylum. "Whatever lets go," he said walking forward. I looked down at my dagger contemplating what to do. I wondered why I even agreed to help him the first place, I hated David. However he was my ticket to a happy ending. But was it worth it, then all of a sudden I knew what to do.
*************************************
I looked down at the dagger in my belt and held tightly to it. "Here it is," I said walking ahead of him releasing the grip I had on my dagger. I used my magic to revel the waterfall. David took the canteen he brought with him and filled it up. I took the dagger out of my belt and raised it so that it was pointing at his back on the side where his heart was. Then I remembered my mother and sister, I remembered how they hated violence. I remembered Syren and how she was so innocent. Then I remembered my father and how I would just be proving him right, I already have, maybe I truly am evil. No, I'm not, at least I don't want to be evil anymore, but if I do this I will always be evil. That's when a thought came to me, maybe that's what a hero truly is, a person who strives to do the right thing no matter what the consequences are. I lowered the dagger and placed it in my belt, and prayed that David didn't see, I also hoped that he didn't see the small tears drop down my face. "Well," I said my voice shaky, "lets go." And we left the mountain. I realized that David and I had something in common at that moment, we were both descending the mountain with a new chance at life.
*************************************
"You really should have taken my deal," my heart dropped at the voice of Peter behind me. I decided to be calm, "I beg to differ." "Oh what makes you so brave all of a sudden?" "Just the fact that you don't scare me anymore," I said getting up from the stump that I was sitting on to think and walking towards him. "And the fact that you, should be afraid, of me." "Oh and why is that," he said laughing. "Because I know all, if your little secrets," I said taking out my dagger and taunting him with it. "You'll regret this Brook," he said disappearing just as soon as he had appeared. I knew in my heart that he was right. I lost a friend, but I knew that I lost him a long time ago.