Not only were they saying goodbye to Jim, but also the Morales family who were leaving to head to Birmingham, Alabama.

It was a bittersweet moment for everyone involved as they left behind what had been their home for the last few weeks in the hope of finding something better.

Megan had intended to travel with Rick, Lori and Carl, but young Sophia wanted to stay with her newfound friend, and Carol naturally wanted to keep her daughter close. While she could've travelled in the RV, Megan wasn't sure how much comfort she could offer Andrea after the death of her sister.

So, instead, she was travelling with Daryl in his beaten-up, blue truck. "This is stupid," she mumbled to herself as she watched the scenery flicker by.

"You talking to yourself again, girl?" Daryl asked from the driver's seat, somewhat amused by her mutterings.

Megan scowled and looked towards him, "you think this is a good idea now? We should have tried to confirm at least if there's a cure or some way of stopping this," she sighed and instinctively placed her hand on her stomach. "I don't want to be on the road forever; I want this madness to end so I can raise my baby in a safe environment."

Daryl shrugged, "there's no cure, no point deluding yourself, just gotta make the best of what's thrown at you."

Megan crossed her arms and huffed, "not all of us have just ourselves to think about."

Daryl scoffed and gripped the steering wheel tighter, "were you this much of a bitch before the pregnancy?"

Megan glared over at him but didn't respond, and Daryl left their conversation there with a shake of his head as he left her to mutter to herself while staring out of the window of the truck.

She didn't mean to be a 'bitch', but she was scared, and she hoped any answers they might find at the CDC would settle her mind when it came to her baby's future. She didn't want her baby to grow up in fear and constantly running. If it even survived long enough to run from the dead's clutches.

With less than five miles to go before they arrived at Fort Benning, the area that the thick black smoke was coming from became visible. Daryl and Megan looked at each other as the convoy began to slow down. They both knew that something wasn't right and despite the distance they still had to go before they reached Fort Benning, everyone knew it was a lost cause.

The vehicles eventually rolled to a stop, and one by one, everyone began to exit their cars to look at the scene ahead.

Megan stepped out of the truck and approached her brother with her hands on her hips.

"What now?" she questioned him expectantly. Rick looked defeated and appeared regretful that he had agreed upon leading them to a dead end.

Lori stood beside Rick with her arms wrapped around Carl, "he's trying to figure it out, Megan. Just give him a minute," Lori said gently.

Megan sighed, "we're over a hundred miles away from the CDC; the sun will set soon. I'm worried."

Rick put his hand on her shoulder, "I know. It was a risk, but a risk I thought we needed to take. We need to work together and syphon some gas from these cars, gather supplies and set off to the CDC like originally planned."