That Night

It was April 28th, 2007, around 7:30. I was over Dylan's house for dinner. My mom was going to pick me up in two hours. We had just finished dinner. Sitting at the table I looked over to him, he was already looking. Our eyes met, and he had the exiting gleam in his eyes. He whispered

"Wanna go to the deli?" I nodded in reply. We turned our heads to face his parents. " Hey mom, me and Ali are gonna walk to the deli. We'll be back in 10 minutes." Dylan said to his mother. Mrs. King nodded her head and said

"Ok, but don't be to long and be careful."

"Ok mom."

"Do you need money?" Mr. King asked.

"No, I got it covered." And with that, we turned and walked to the front door. We put on our shoes and our hoodies and opened the door. We said goodbye to his parents, closed the door and ran down his front steps. We walked to the edge of the curb looked side to side and crossed the street. I looked at Dylan we had this mischievous sparkle in his eye that I couldn't help but look at. We walked to the end of the block and entered the small store. We walked to the right and entered a lane, staring at all the candy bars.

"How much money do you have on you?" I asked Dylan.

"None." He replied. My adrenaline rose a little, because back in my brain there was a little voice that kept telling me that something bad was about to happen.

"Then why are we here?!" I tried to calmly ask Dylan, but that didn't happen.

"Because I want to get some candy." He so calmly replied. The voice got louder when I saw Dylan put a Snikers into his pocket. I reached my hand in there and took it out, but it was to late. The security guard saw my hand, holding the candy, in Dylan's pocket. He walked straight towards. We turned the other way and ran. We were about to make it through the door, but I tripped on my shoe lace and fell down. Dylan must of heard me because he stopped and turned around. He looked down at me, then looked up and turned away and kept running. The security guard finally got to me and grabbed my hand and picked me up. He grabbed my other hand and placed it behind me. I felt something metal hit my wrist, I knew it was handcuffs. Right then and there I knew that I, Ali Jenna Nelson, was under arrest.