Chapter 11

*Edited*

Autumn's P.O.V.

   A soon as the storm cleared and it was safe to leave, everyone was transferred to another local hospital. Everything was gone. The hospital was left with just a basement. As I'm riding in the back of an ambulance, I think about that little boy. He was the one I tried to take downstairs myself. I remember seeing his face as the nurse runs down the hallway to the stairs. He didn't look scared. He looked more confused out of all the emotions I can think of. The girl that was with him is in the ambulance with me. As well as a few other people. They had to squeeze everyone in because they are limited on the amount of cars. 

  She's sitting in the corner, silently crying. I wonder if they knew each other. I'm assuming they did. Her face dirty and sweaty and her long blonde hair pulled to one side. She wipes her face, trying to hide the fact that she's crying. 

  "How did you know him?" My voice startles everyone in the car because before it was completely silent. She sniffles a little, wiping her nose with the back of her hand. She glances at me, her eyes red and puffy.

  "He's always been my neighbor. He's always been right next door to me in that hospital. Three years." She looks down to her hands, they are shaking a little bit. "I would always go in there and read to him. Or something like that. I am an only child, so I saw him as my little brother." She manages to put a small smile on her face. She doesn't say anything after that, and it's silent again. I look to Clark who is sitting next to me. He's starring at his feet, and his jaw is clenched. He doesn't blink or even move when I look at him. I know he's upset. He's angry at himself. I would tell him everything I want to say, but he won't listen. 

  A few days ago, I started my chemo. The doctors said I don't need many rounds of it considering the tumor is so small, but I'm still going to lose my hair. I started wearing a beanie that my nurse bought me from the gift shop. I'm missing patches of hair. I don't mind. I know I'm sick, I just have to except the fact that I'm going to need to sacrifice a lot so I can get better. I want to get better. I feel like this is more than just cancer. I've done my research and I have little to no symptoms. I looked up my symptoms and what they mean and a ton of other stuff came up. They are all different too. So I have no idea what's going on with me. I know my doctor is puzzled as to what I'm going through. The way he looks at me, it's like he's trying to put the puzzle together piece by piece. He doesn't understand it either. He said there's a chance that they might have me do surgery to see what's going on inside my head. For now, I'm going through chemo and my hair is falling out. I'm throwing up, but I'm okay. 

  We arrive at a hospital in Wichita, Kansas. A line of cars and ambulance head into the parking lot. A news crew is filming it all. Clark gets out of the ambulance truck and starts helping people inside. The crowd of people outside the emergency room is yelling his name, trying to ask him questions. That's what anyone cares about anymore. They don't care that an EF4 just wiped out an entire hospital and god knows what else. They just care about him. It makes me sick. The police is here as well, getting everyone inside as fast as possible. 

  Everyone had a room by the time the sun went down, a day after the storm hit. A lot of them had to share a room with mulitple people. Me, I'm sharing a room with a teenage boy and an elderly woman. I stare up at the ceiling, thinking to myself that I just survived the biggest tornado Kansas as ever seen. I wasn't even scared. I knew that Clark could protect us. It wasn't his fault that that little boy died. He had a stroke. There's nothing he could've done to make the situation better. I really hate it that he's beating himself up for it. I don't even know where he is. He just disappeared after everyone got into a room. 

  "Autumn!" Ms. Kent smiles as she walks into the door, arms wide open. 

  "Ms. Kent. How are you?" I smile back at her while leaning in for a hug. She wraps her arms around my back and puts a hand to the back of my head. 

  "Happy now that I know you're safe." She pats my shoulder and her facial expression goes hard.

  "How are you?" She looks me in the eyes and my smile fades.

  "I'm a little shaken up, but I think I'm okay." I nod, putting my hand on top of hers. She squeezes my hand and smiles a little.

  "Where's Clark?" I ask. 

  "He's-" Suddenly, I hear screaming coming from outside. It startles us both. I get up and head for the door, leaning against the door frame when I reach it. There's a woman holding a teddy bear to here chest as she falls to the floor. Tears streaming down her face. A man is kneeled next to her, holding her as his shoulder shake, indicating he's crying too. I recognize the teddy bear. It's the little boys. The woman rocks back and forth as she sobs. I move my eyes away, feeling myself start to tear up. Clark turns around, his expression as hard as I've ever seen it. He clenches his jaw and squeezes his eyes shut. That's what he does when his emotions start to get the best of him. He forces them to go away. His fist clench together like they always do, and suddenly he's still. Nothing is clenched, his eyes open. He stands with his back to the heartbroken couple and he moves his eyes across the room in front of him. When his eyes meet mine, he stands there, starring at me. I tilt my head to the side and stare back at him. Sometimes I wonder if he actually knows what I want to say to him. He starts to walk towards me, but stops. I need to feel him, give him a hug, something. I rush for him and I wrap my arms around him. He straps his arms over my shoulders and pulls me closer to where there's no more space between us to be filled. He rests the side of his face on my head and holds me. 

  Hearing the sound of his heartbeat against my ear brings me comfort. Just feeling his body against me makes me feel safe. 

  "Are you okay?" He whispers. He pushes me away a little to where he can see my face, his arms still around me. 

  " Yeah, I'm okay." I sigh. "Are you?" I look him in the eyes and he takes a few seconds to answer.

  "I will be." He pulls me back into the hug and we stay there for what seems like forever.

***

Hey everyone! Sorry this is short. It's just another filler chapter.