Chapter 5- The Singing Hat

We followed McGonagall through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall. Four long tables ran along the sides towards a table at the front. All the students and other teachers staring at us first years, trying to judge where we would end up. The ceiling of the room was a dark colour with stars shinning here and there. I heard Hermione telling others it was bewitched.

"Ron, do you know how they sort us?" Harry asked nervously.

"It's some kind of test. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I don't know if I should believe him."

"What if they take our blood or what if we have to fight lions?" Harry panicked.

"I don't think that's how it'll go down, but good thinking." I shook my head, rolling my eyes.

"Well then, what do you think will happen?" My brother asked.

"I think we'll have to write a test, answer questions on ourselves and then BAM we're sorted." I said simply.

Harry opened his mouth to answer but closed it when we stopped at the front of the room. In front of us was a stool with a wizard hat placed on top, it looked very old and dusty. Everyone in the room was staring at the object. What's so special about a hat that was probably made in the 1800s? The hat suddenly began to sing.

"That's not something I would have guessed." I said my eyes wide.

"We just have to try on a singing hat?" Harry whispered.

"I know it's disappointing, I was looking forward to fighting lions too." I whispered back.

The hat finished its song and everyone applauded.

"It can sing better than me." I said impressed.

"That's because you can't sing." Harry pointed out.

Professor McGonagall stepped forward with a long roll of parchment in her hands.

"When I call your name, you will sit on the stool and put on the hat," She instructed. "Abbott, Hannah!" A blonde girl walked forward and sat on the stool. The hat was placed on her head and a moment later the hat shouted-

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

The Hufflepuff table cheered and Hannah sat down with them. This doesn't look so hard, except everyone will be watching me. I studied all the tables. At one there I saw the twins, their redheads weren't exactly hard to see. All the other tables didn't seem to have anyone I recognized.

"Brown, Lavender!"

"GRYFFINDOR!"

The table with Fred and George, Gryffindor, let out cheers as she made her way over to them.

"Bulstrode, Millicent!"

"SLYTHERIN!"

The Slytherin table also cheered as it gained a new member. Millicent sat down and began to talk to some of the people beside her. I began to worry, what if I don't like the house I'm put in, will they let me change? If Harry and I go into separate houses what will happen? I took a deep breath and pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind. This is an adventure I just need to have fun and make new friends.

"Crabbe, Vincent!"

"SLYTHERIN!"

"Davis, Tracey!"