Chapter 3 - Diagon Alley

Picture of Emily's Owl
.

In the morning the sun shone through into the shack, warming it up a little. The air was still damp from the storm causing my hair to get a little frizzy.

"We've got ter get goin' if we want to be on time, come along now." Hagrid said motioning towards the door.

Harry and I quickly got ready, wanting to get away from the Dursleys as soon as possible. Then we grabbed our bags and followed Hagrid out of the shack. I looked back at the Dursleys, who were watching us go. They didn't look very upset at losing us, they'll think twice when they have to make their own breakfast.

"Goodbye, good friends, I'll see you soon!" I said to them, dramatically putting a hand over my heart.

They didn't say anything, but I did get a scowl from Uncle Vernon. I followed Harry into the boat. It wasn't as crowded as last time, but Hagrid did take up a bit of space. We slowly started moving towards the land.

"This is going to take a while." I mumbled, leaning my face into my hand.

As I said that Hagrid took out his pink umbrella and waved it in the air. The boat instantly started moving faster, throwing my backwards a little bit.

"I would appreciate it if yer didn' tell anyone 'bout that." Hagrid said, putting the umbrella away.

"Why not?" I asked.

"I was expelled in third year, snapped my wand. I'm not supposed to be doing magic."

"Why were you expelled?" Harry asked.

"Oh look at that were here, watch yer step." He said, deliberately avoiding the question.

I didn't press him about it. I got out of the boat, careful not to fall in. I made an attempt at pushing Harry into the water but it didn't go well. I ended up on the ground at his feet, not very fun. We started walking to the street and I skipped ahead of them, until I remembered I had no idea where we were going. I stopped and waited for them.

"Where are we going?" I asked Hagrid, when they caught up with me.

"To the train station, we need ter get ter London. You need ter get yer school stuff from the list."

I remembered the envelope folded in my coat pocket. I took it out and found the list of things we needed:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Uniform

First year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

Set books

All students should have a copy of each or the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch