Chapter 11 Criminal & Gang

Thank you so much for the 1k votes! <3 Happy New Year! (Only Jan 8th so not belated yet).

Chapter 11 - Criminal & Gang

[Ahar's P. O. V.]

It took us two hours of waiting in the crowd until we actually went inside the Gurudwara.

I begged God to save my mother's health as well as help find Sanya.

Everyone chose a crowded area to settle down. I went outside to sit and relax. I had been receiving too many disapproving glares from Shravan's family. They certainly didn't like my presence.

My phone suddenly rang displaying, Laksh. I picked up, confused. My brother didn't pick up yesterday and never called me at nine in the morning. He should've been at school.

Did something happen?

"Laksh?"

"Ahu, meri jaan (my dear/life)." I froze at the tired voice. Only she called me "Ahu" and only she could say it so . . . motherly. "Are you okay?" Was it really her? I hadn't talked to her since last year, though recently I saw her on a hospital bed before she got shifted. "Hello?"

"Mumma, how are you?" I asked, trying to control my emotions.

It's been so long!

I grasped the railing near me and turned my head away from anyone who might see me. I couldn't believe this! Bhagwan ke ghar der hai andher nahi (There's a delay in god's house not darkness/All is fair in life even if there are slight delays).

"Healthy as a horse," she replied. Her fragile voice told me otherwise. "Someone said you were hurt and in the hospital--"

"It's nothing," I interjected. She was the one in the hospital fighting cancer for months and she was concerned for me? "I fell and sprained my ankle, but I'm all good. How is your treatment? Is it working? Are the doctors even doing anything except asking for money? I swear to God, if anyth--"

I heard a soft chuckle.

"If I die, there's nothing you can do," she said. I bit my lip hard, swallowing hard. Tears were welling up and I didn't want to break down. Not after I had tried to hold up so long. "It'd be nice to live to see my grandchildren, however."

"You aren't even allowed to see your children, Ma. Grandchildren are a far stretch," I said bitterly. It was true that those stupid doctors wouldn't allow us to see her except for the window in the hospital doors. "Wait, how'd you even get on the phone--"

I heard loud voices in the background.

"Laksh forgot it here, yesterday," Mumma replied. "Doctors are coming, so I have to leave. Love you. Come and see me soon, okay? With my damaad (son-in-law)."

"Son-in-law? Mum--"

The call ended.

I exhaled loudly, setting the phone on the ground. I hoped the doctors took care of her. She wasn't getting a son-in-law for a long time. I have to see her sometime soon.

I sat alone wondering how much more I was going to get tested. Wasn't being separated from my family enough torture? Did my mother need to be in a hospital?

Shravan soon came to tell me to start heading for Langar (food from communal kitchen). Everyone settled down in tight space. I was stuck between Preet and Shravan.

His family eyed me weirdly but said nothing.

"Shravan, on a scale of one to ten, how much is your family against me?" I inquired.