Ch 4 - Beautiful

Mulai dari awal

"And she hasn't killed you yet?" I asked in shock.

"I'm not in the mood for killing," the voice changed.

"Zuri," I said emotionlessly.

"I don't understand why you're looking for me. I thought that after I did you a favour with your girlfriend's necklace, I was off the hook," she commented.

"I'm not looking for you because I want to arrest you or anything of a sort. I need your help," I admitted, only to be met by silence.

"Zuri?" I said.

I waited a while longer before she finally replied. "I'm sorry. I'm just trying to process what you're saying. You, need my help?"

"The fact that you're so shocked means you know that I'm really desperate here," I replied.

"I take it this has to do with your girlfriend?" she asked.

"It does mostly, but I also need to find out who wants me or her father dead. She was recently kidnapped, and then she was brought back," I informed.

"Is she alive, and if yes, was she injured?" she asked.

"Yes, and yes," I responded.

"Alright! I'll do you this one thing, but only because I'd like to believe that despite all the bullshit that's gone down this past year, we're still better friends than that," she said.

I sighed in relief. "Thank you."

"Have you had a chance to look at her body yet?" she asked.

"No, but what would I be looking for?" I asked.

"Any kind of mark. It's very rare that someone gets kidnapped, injured, and then taken back to their loved ones. Something tells me you might find your clue somewhere on her body," she explained.

"You mean like a branding sort of thing?" Mordecai asked.

"Exactly! Whoever had her sounds like a true psycho, and psychos love to have their work appreciated, so they literally leave a mark," she added.

"Alright! I'll get that done once she's awake. She still has to tell us what she knows and can remember about her kidnapping," I replied.

"If I may ask, were you together when she was taken?" she asked. I filled her in on what happened.

"I don't want to stir up trouble here, but have you spoken to Nadia since the incident?" she questioned. I could hear the curiosity in her voice.

"No, she's off the grid, why?" I asked.

"You mean to tell me that you haven't gone over the fact that she conveniently knew where you were, and that you were about to get killed? Please tell me you haven't been that stupid," she said.

Except I had.

I had spent so much time being enraged by blossom's kidnapping before she was brought back, and I've been dealing with anger directed at myself since, that I haven't even thought back to the thorough events of that day.

"You can't possibly be suggested that Nadia has gone rogue," Mordecai commented.

"I'm just saying that you should think about it before you dismiss it. Investigate her involvement in the whole thing," Zuri suggested.

I sighed. "I'll look it into it."

"I'll also look into my connections and see what I find. Have you spoken to Rio?" she asked.

"Why would I do that?" I asked in confusion.

"I see you're still playing the cold shoulder card. It was just a year ago when you broke her heart Xander. There's nothing like a woman scorned, so be sure to check that avenue too," she said before the line went dead.