“We had plenty of time to talk while we waited for you.” He smiled and walked over anyways though.

                I held up my hand that wasn’t in a sling, it was wrapped in a thick gauze and I felt nauseous thinking about it. “Caleb, this is my girlfriend Sara. Sara, this is my brother Caleb.”

                “And I’m Carrie.” A voice came from the doorway.

                Caleb winced and Sara adopted a scowl. I peered around them to see my least favorite woman in the world. Her smile was sickeningly sweet and she had her arms crossed while she leaned on the doorframe. She pushed off of it when I looked at her and started walking towards me.

                “Go away Carrie. I’m done with you. I’m done with everything to do with you. I’m happy now, alright? I have a wonderful girlfriend and my brother is here, I’m going to school for what I love and I’m living my life. I don’t need your crazy ass anywhere near me.”

                “Don’t say that.” She adopted that pouting face again, like she was insulted. “Remember? You wanted to marry me.”

                “Remember that woman who had her fingers tangled in your hair while you ate her out? Because I do. Stay the hell away from me Carrie.”

                “You’d rather be with her than try me again?” She cast a dirty look at Sara.

                Nobody looks at my girl that way.

                “I’d rather be with a man than try you again. Sara is great. She’s damn near perfect. Leave or I’ll call security to take you out.”

                Carrie glared at us, but eventually started walking out. “I’m not done Dev.”

                When she finally left, I felt like all the energy had been taken out of me. I fell back onto my pillows and took a deep breath that made me wince in pain. “Guess this means sex is out for a while.” I said jokingly as Sara crawled onto my bed with me and Caleb sat on the chair beside it.

                “There’s some stuff we can do.” I could tell she was still worried, but that she was trying to not to act like it for me. “And what did you mean ‘damn near perfect’?”I laughed, but had to stop when I felt the searing pain in my chest.

                Her face fell and she reached over and placed her hand on my stomach. “Don’t worry, just a fractured rib or two. It’s fine.” I placed my hand on top of hers. I thought at what Jan would say and I sighed. “I need to call Jan.”

                “She’s here; she just went to get some food from the cafeteria.” Caleb said.

                And at that precise moment she barged into the room and said, not too quietly either, “What the hell? You were going to see your brother, not going to get yourself killed!”

                “I’m still alive.” I mumbled.

                “What would I have done if you died? What reason would I have to go to the bar? I’d never get to see Luce again! And then I’d have no one to play pool with! What would I do with this twenty? Put it in your grave? Don’t you dare do that to me again you selfish bastard!” She looked positively livid.

                “It’s not like I meant to get in an accident.” I mumbled.

                “You’re supposed to keep your damn eyes on the road! Seriously! What were you doing? Closing your eyes?”