Chapter 2: Night-Time Conversations

Start from the beginning

My curiosity spiked up a little at his words that left so much to the imagination. I plucked the first thought that formed.
"They could see you too?"

Did that mean I wasn't the only one who could see them? The possibility of that had my feelings thrown in a loop. It would mean I wasn't alone anymore. But before any of the emotions could sink in, Cole answered.

"No. That's why it was more fun." He chuckled as if remembering a fond memory. "Especially when they brought in an exorcist."

I frowned at his words, noting them down in my mind to go back on later when I had more time to think.

I slowly moved backwards towards the door, having no idea what I would do once I got out but I rationalised it was better than being stuck in a room with a ghost who could be one of the vengeful types. His eyes were on me instantly, an elegant eyebrow quirked up in amusement at my apparent escapade.
"There's no use escaping. You do know I can go anywhere in this house, should I desire to do so?"

I stopped, "So wait, you're not damned to my bedroom for eternity?"

His eyebrows knitted together as he sent me a small glare, "What an absurd question."

I had hoped he would explain further but to my dismay he looked away from me and towards the window, as the milky rays of the moon illuminated his breathtaking features, making him look almost unearthly.

I bit my lip as I mulled over what I should do next. For a start, it would be a good idea to find out more about the ghost, before deciding on the best course of action.

"I take it you're not leaving then." I said timidly, rubbing my arms to get more warmth as the fire had yet to heat up the whole room.

I heard a soft derisive snort, as the ghost remained looking out the window.

"You can try making me leave."

I had to fight down the shiver that was threatening to escape at his deceptively smooth but cold thinly veiled threat.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves as I took a step forward further into the room, an idea forming in my head. I needed all the confidence I could muster for the next part. This instantly caught the attention of Cole, who raised an eyebrow, a look of mild surprise on his features, "That was the part you screamed and ran far away from me."

"Look, I'm pretty sure I'm not like the other residents you've had before, and I know no matter how you hide it, you're curious about me as much as I am about you." I said as I moved a little further into the room. Closer to where Cole sat but far enough to escape should he want to harm me in any way.

I didn't fancy the idea of running in the house in the darkness either, knowing full well the ghost could follow me out, but it was all I had.

"You made that sound like a love confession." He said, his response surprising me as a small smirk played on his lips.

From all the ghosts that could have haunted my new home, I had to be stuck with an arrogant and an impossibly cocky one.

Ignoring his remark I continued on, "So until I know for sure why this is happening," I indicated between the two of us with my hand, "I think it would be in our best interest to get on well."

"Now it seems like we're at a business meeting." He said, boredom dripping like honey on a spoon from his tone.

I narrowed my eyes slightly at him, tapping my foot against the floorboards as I tried my best to keep alert but the tiredness was hitting me hard. The move to the new house had been long and hard, and not being able to sleep because of a certain ghost had my body feeling heavy and sluggish.

The Ghost In My RoomOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara