Chapter 3: Stranger Things Afoot

Chapter Three

"You must be Zeinth, nice to meet you." Said the short, balding man with an over eager handshake and a wide, toothy smile.

I smiled gingerly back, waiting for the man to let go of my hand and introduce himself.

I had just entered the busy student enrollment office in college- the one that I would soon be attending-when the man had come out from somewhere in the room and thrust his hand out to me to shake.

"I'm in charge of teaching the forensic science and criminology course." Cue an even wider smile. "You can call me Paul. We're all adults here so there's no need to call me Mr or sir."

"It's nice to meet you too." I said, finally having the chance to speak, as he let go of my hand.

"It's good that you applied when you did. The course starts on Thursday and you'll have all the necessary paperwork and textbooks on that day, so I wouldn't worry if I were you." He said enthusiastically, pushing his glasses up his nose.

I wondered, briefly how someone who taught such a gritty course could be so lively.

"My office is room twenty-eight A on the fourth floor, at the end of the hall on the left. If you need any help or have any questions, just come right up and knock. We'll get you settled right in so don't worry about being the new kid on the block."

I gave him a smile and a quick nod of my head. "Thank you."

If it were possible, his hundred watt smile turned brighter, "No problem. Now off you pop. I don't think you want to be indoors in this stuffy place, when its so nice and sunny outside, do you?"

Before I could get a word in, he did the shooing motion with his hands, brown eyes twinkling from behind his glasses, "I'll see you bright and early Thursday morning Zeinth."

I was surprised at how abrupt the meeting had been, but I supposed that was for the better as a a blonde woman pushed past us, hands laden with folders, shooting us an impatient look.

"See you si- Paul." I caught myself just before the forbidden word slipped out. Some habits were hard to leave behind.

My footsteps echoed as they hit the linoleum floors, as I walked through the brightly lit building. The college was nice enough, if not a little on the small side. It was bright with splashes of colour where pictures amongst other art hung on the white walls of the corridors.

There were a few people milling about around the college but I couldn't tell if they were students or not as there were no uniforms worn here.
When I caught curious glances thrown my way, I looked down at my trainers and walked a little quicker to the front entrance, past the front desk and security, through the revolving glass doors and out into the brilliant sunshine.

It had been a week since we moved to the town and today was the first day I had left my house to explore the town and make sure I had a place in my chosen course at college- mum had nagged me into it and I finally decided to get it over and done with.

Most troubling of all was the fact I hadn't seen Cole since the first night we moved. I so wanted to believe he had gone, and feel the relief that would come with it, but all I felt was wariness with the knowledge that there was no way he would have left the house.
Especially not since our last conversation.

I hardly took in sight of the pretty town and all of its pastel coloured buildings as I kept my head down and walked my way back up the steep slope up to the house.

By the time I had reached the house, I was tired and thirsty as the walk had been long and exhausting. I paused outside, trying to catch my breath.

The three story house stood out of place in the morning sun, its darkened stone crawling with ivy and vines- it looked as if it hadn't been touched since the victorian age. Even the big oak tree that stood at the end of the garden seemed dead, no sign of green shoots despite it nearing to warmer weather.