Chapter 1

"Art isn't just paint on a canvas, or pencil on paper. Art is your own mind and soul. It's what you put into the piece that makes it beautiful, not just the skill it took." The class sat in silence as my favorite teacher, Ms. Webber, lectured us on our future in art. She loved art, obviously because she was the art teacher at our high school, but never lost sight of what a painting or drawing really was-- the artist's point of view of life itself. Everyone in her class had lives outside of it, and what fueled their mind is what fueled the art.

   "So, what is art to me? It's whatever I make of it. Paint splatters on a canvas could speak to me more than any masterpiece. A child's finger painting could have more depth and meaning than what I could have poured out onto a canvas myself, in all my years. I guess what I'm trying to tell you guys is that while art is fun and fulfilling, what you see is worth more to me." Ms. Webber took out a beautiful painting of hers from a bin of art in the front of the classroom. It was a beautiful sunset with two silhouettes holding hands on a vast meadow of grass and wild flowers. "What do you see, anyone?" She looked around the room. I reluctantly raise my hand into the air. "Yes, Crys, what do you see?" I swallowed. "I see a symbol of love and commitment, displayed on the beauty of a sunset. I see a portrayal of something deep and meaningful to whoever is pictured in the painting. The painting is love."

   Ms. Webber closed her eyes and smiled. "Beautiful response, Crys. Thank you for your insight. Anyone else?" My classmates stared intently at the photo but no one raised their hand. "Ok, then. You want to know what I see in my own painting?" Ms. Webber raises an eyebrow. "I see my whole life. I see myself and my past husband, and I see what is left to come of my journey." The bell rings as she finishes speaking, and she finally says, "Even as you journey through your years of adulthood, always try to look at things in a different angle. What you see is a resemblance of who you are. Have a great summer and good luck in your future years, guys."

   We all say goodbye, many of us giving her a hug, and we leave  the classroom as seniors with a new mindset. The problem was, I still didn't know who I wanted to be. I listened to my heart, my mind. I study my art and try to pour out me and my life into it, but all I see are the clouds of my emotions. What is next for me? I have to move on, school is finished. I didn't even know what colleges I wanted to go to, if at all. It seemed like everyone could move on and create their own lives and I'd be stuck in the fog of my own feelings and confusion.

   I walk out of the high school building, officially starting my life. Graduation had happened two days ago, and everyone felt a sense of accomplishment. I was still stuck in my thoughts "Hey, Crys! Guess who's adults now?" I smile as I hear my best friend, Lilly, approach me. She always was smiling and supported me with whatever I chose. "I guess we are, Lil. I don't feel grown up, though. Maybe I just don't want to." She gave me a hug. "What do you mean? I thought your art career could take off now. You could be famous with that talent of yours!" I smiled and looked at the ground. "It's not that easy, Lilly. I don't even know how far my art could take me. It's all just really confusing, ya know?" She nodded and rubbed my arm. "I get it." She said. "Well, call me if you need anything. You know I'm always there for you. See you this summer!" She hugged me one last time and then waved goodbye, headed to her car. "Bye." I wave and smile at her, and we were on our ways.