Birthdays and a Rising Sun

Start from the beginning

"Kelley, what happened?" The receptionist, Carol, asked me.

"Emily's sick, like really sick." I said, and she sighed.

"I'll let Dr. Tess know. She'll see you guys right away." She told me, and I smiled.

"Thank you so much." I said, as I went and set Emily down on one of the couches. After around ten minutes, Dr. Tess came out.

"Kelley, hey." She said. "What's up?" She asked.

"Emily's really sick, and I was wondering if you could take a look at her?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Of course, fallow me." She said, as I picked Emily back up. She lead me to check up room, and opened the door for us. I walked in, and set Emily down in the bed. "What are her symptoms?" She asked, as she started listening to Emily's vitals.

"She has a really bad cough and she sneezes up green goo, and she's been throwing up. She also gets chills and hot flashes, and she's been achy." I explained.

"How long has she been like this?" Dr. Tess asked.

"Around four days." I said.

"She's really dehydrated, severely dehydrated actually. We need to get her some fluids, or her heart rate and blood pressure will start dropping." She said.

"Will she be okay?" I asked.

"She'll be fine, she just needs an I-V." She explained. "We can take her to the hospital wing. I'll call in some nurses." Dr. Tess said, as she went over to call the nurses.

Once they came with a gurney, they lifted her onto it. We all the wheeled her to the hospital wing, where some other nurses took her into a room.

"She's dehydrated, and she might have a infection in her lungs." Dr. Tess explained to another ER doctor.

"Alright, we'll get her in fluids right away and then I'll get her a chest scan." He said.

"I'll see you soon Kelley." She said, giving me a small wave.

"Thank you." I said, and the headed into Emily's hospital room. She's going to be okay, she'll be fine. Dr. Tess said so, she'll be okay.

Walking into Emily's hospital room, I saw her sprawled out on the hospital bed. She had an I-V in her arm, with two separate tubes coming out of it. Two different fluid bags hung above her head, dripping down into her tubes. Her sweatshirt was on a chair, and small meters were on her bare chest. Some were tucked under her sports bra, as the wiring laid by her side. She then had a small nose cannula in her nose, helping her breath.

"Oh god." I mumbled, as I went and sat down. Picking up her sweatshirt, it now had her scent on it instead of mine. It was her favorite sweatshirt. I now looked at her tattoos.

She had swirling patterns, and other tattoos intertwined. Starting at one of her fingertips, a vine broke out. Some leaves broke off of it, and then other tattoos broke off from the vine. They were numbers or symbols, and sometimes they were fingerprints.

Emily stirred in the bed, so I laid the sweatshirt beside her. She nuzzled her head into it, and coughed out. Her breathing was ragged, and I sighed out. I didn't realize how sick she was, or how bad it was. Pulling out my phone, I called my mom. She answered within the first few rings.