Chapter 4

After the fight had gone down, we had an easy training day. Well at least I did. A few days later my wounds had healed. Her's took a few more days then mine because they were deep bruises. I felt kind of bad, knowing that I had hurt her to the point of delayed healing. But I couldn't let her win, I was to strong  in to many ways.
Kasey and I were walking with our younger siblings home, (we had gone swimming again) and my sister was walking on my right hand side. I heard a scream. It was piercing; the high pitched sound filling the air around us. As sudden as it came, it went. I sharply jerked my head to the right not seeing my sister. Kasey and Chase were on my left side. I frantically looked around for her. We all stopped. Before I could call out her name, a big, cold hand grabbed my right arm; pulling down. An ear curdling shriek escaped my lips. The last image I saw was Kasey's distraught expression. Then everything was dark. I hadn't passed out, the giant hands had pulled me underground. It being first nature, I fought back. The hand (which I assumed) belonged to a man, covered my mouth. I quickly bit it, I heard a grunt of pain come from him. I sharply jabbed his gut with my elbow. His massive arms now enclosed me. Before I could scream, I heard a familiar voice say," stop!! It's me!" It took me a moment, but I came to a realization of who's voice it was. It was Dillon's. He let go of me and quickly pulled Kasey and Chase in. "What's going on??" I asked in a regular voice, beginning to panic. I heard an array of shushes from all around me. "What's going on!?" I whisper yelled, now being really scared. My fear was met with a gentle, familiar hand. I knew it was Kasey's. Him doing this reminded me of the one time he had done it before. I blushed at the thought. "The government has been trying to track us down, and they have attacked some of our neighboring families," my mom whispered into my ear calmly. This turned my slight fear into utter terror. "Do you mean people like us who live underground??" I asked trying to keep it together. It wasn't all that successful. If it weren't for Kasey's hand in mine, I would have been bawling. I was really physically strong. Though I was only 5"4 and 113 lbs, all that weight was muscle. Normally I am mentally strong too. But after the sheer petrifying-ness of my sister vanishing, me being pulled in, and struggling to fight, it was to much. "No. Not yet. But they have taken many of our upper ground neighbors to try and get information out of them." My heart rate, (still being fast) slowed to a more, almost natural rate. I sucked in a sharp breath. "So we're all bunched together, in the dark, being silent, because...?" I said quietly but not quite a whisper. My sentence was more of a statement then a question but I was hoping for someone to fill in the blank. "So we can't really be detected," Someone said. I knew I had heard the voice but their name was slipping my mind at that particular moment. Still having questions I whisper asked," so how long exactly are we going to stay like this?" "As long as it takes," I heard an unknown voice say. "Well we've been here for about an hour so we'll probably have some people go check outside in twenty minutes or so," my dad softly answered. 'Wow, an hour of silence.' I said to myself in my mind. Those twenty minutes passed exceedingly slow. By the time they sent Dillon out to check if they were still there, it had felt like an eternity had passed. I awaited the signal to let go of Kasey's hand. He was so strong and kind, I leaned up to kiss his cheek. It was farther than I had planned up to his face. "It's all clear," I heard Dillon's booming voice say. 'Finally!!' I shouted in my head. I dropped his hand. And the lights flickered on. I looked up, now in horror.