Chapter 1

I was lying down staring up at the beautiful starry night. It looked as though it was very dark blue velvet with bright white specks thrown on top. The moon was no where to be seen. It was a very clear sky; great for sky gazing. I closed my eyes just for a moment, next thing I knew I was woken up by warm, soft, sunlight on my face. As I was opening my eyes I noticed a person standing above me. It was my mom, with her hands on her hips. "Elle, why on earth did you sleep out here last night??" My mom asked confused. I smiled then said," Sorry mom. It was just such a gorgeous night." She rolled her eyes then said rushing me," it's fine, I just hope you didn't freeze. Now hurry inside and get dressed." "Okay!" I called over my shoulder as I ran down the stairs into my house with my stripped blanket in hand. I turned and looked at my mom then asked," has dad left yet?" "No, but he will soon, so you better get ready fast." My mom answered rushing me again. I quickly ran into my room, changed into skinny jeans and a blue t-shirt. I brushed my long blonde hair and threw it in a bun. I put mascara on then I was ready. I rushed to the main room where my parents stood. I ran to my dad and gave him a hug then said," bye dad love you. Are you working with Steve today??" "Love you too, and yes I am." He answered while hugging me back. He kissed my mom as they said goodbye and walked up a few stairs. "Bye daddy! Love you!" I heard my little sister call. "Bye sweetie, love you too!" My dad called in response.  I grabbed a big key and walked towards a big, old, wooden door. "Going to see your boyfriend??" My dad asked me teasingly. "He's not my boyfriend!" I yelled. "Suuuure," my dad said as he walked up more stairs. I face palmed. My dad open the hatch and crawled up. With that he was gone off to work. I gabbed the key in the giant heavy door, and jiggled it a few times until it clicked. "I'll be back," I called to my mom who was in the kitchen. My mom peeked around the corner then said," okay, don't cause trouble." I rolled my eyes then pulled the door open. I stepped into a long dark hallway. The hallway was pitch black, I stepped into it closing the enormous door behind me. I took a few steps then (being motion activated) lights lining the hallway came on. The lights were dim but worked for this dirty, dusty, narrow, long, hallway. I walked for maybe a minute until I reached a door just like the one I had exited. I knocked three times then stood back, not wanting the big door to hit or crush me. "Hello?" I called, it echoing through the hallway. "Stand back, I don't want the door to hit you," I heard a muffled voice say. "I'm standing back," I called. I wondered if it was Kasey opening the door. The heavy door swung out and open. Kasey's tall slender body emerged. He greeted me with a smile. I returned the smile then, Kasey said," hey do you want to go swimming?? I was just about to come and ask you." I lit up. "Of course!" I answered enthusiastically. He beamed then said," awesome, but you should probably ask your mom if it's ok, and see if your sister wants to come. "Ok I will head back. My mom will probably say yes, and my sister will most likely want to come," I said with a wink. My sister pretend to hate Kasey, only because she liked him... Almost as much as I did. "See ya," we both said as I turned to walk back. As I was walking I was thinking of my city's history. My small family of four lived in the time known as 'the time to be remembered.' All of the governments of the world were fighting over who should be supreme leader of the world. Our leader was pure evil. Take all of the bad guys in all of the fairytales you know, and combine them. Ours is still worse. What is even scarier than that is the fact that our leader isn't the worst out there. He kills innocent people and wishes to control us and make us his slaves. He tattoos newborns with numbers and hunts people down to make sure they have the numbers. Most people saw it coming. Some feared it, some agreed with it, and others like us, wanted nothing to do with it. This happened when I was ten. That was five years ago. Those of us who were not going to participate made underground cities, and swore to protect our families and each other. We still go above ground when we need to and or if we want to. We aren't hiding from the people, but we will do what it takes to keep our families safe.