Chapter Ten

"Why are you doing this, Hunter?" I sighed as he cleaned my wounds.

It had been weeks until I was discharged from the hospital. My wound was almost completely healed and Hunter said that it would take about a week before it's completely fine.

"I told you already, Zoe. I'm taking care of you now. I've taken full responsibility and I will treat you like the queen you are."

Seeing him like this made me feel a certain way. There was just something about me being the only person he treats like this. Sure, he treated Blaze with love and care too, but she's his sister anyways.
It took a lot for me to realize that not all men are like Tony. I never really thought of men like that, but I guess with all the rumors, I was rather forced to assume hunter might be like that, even if I had a crush on him the moment I set my eyes on him. Hunter was so much more different than Tony. In a way, Hunter gave me the will to live. I wasn't scared to die. If it wasn't for Hunter, I'd probably be dead by now, just because the will to live had left me completely. Hunter made me realize that I deserve a lot better. I deserve to live for myself.

"One thing though," he started as he placed a cigarette between his lips. I frowned, waiting for him to continue. "Whatever happens here, stays here. No need to tell everyone how soft Hunter is or anything like that. I'd like for people to remain scared of me in order for them to know that they cannot get near you."

I chuckled. "Alrighty then."

Once Hunter was done cleaning my wound, he got up and walked towards the kitchen. I sighed. I haven't been to school since the incident happened. I haven't seen Alyssa and I know for a fact that I'm behind with all of my schoolwork too. Hunter told me to stay home until I was better and I agreed to it. But nothing could stop me from thinking about Tony. I kept wondering what he was up to at this very moment. I wonder if he had escaped the country or called to school to inform my death. But one thing I knew for sure... He was going to find out about me being alive sooner or later. There was no way I could hide from him.

Hunter returned and sat down next to me. "Zoe, are you ever going to tell what happened? About this Tony you mentioned the other day? It's been weeks."

I sighed. "My father was a powerful business man. He owned one of the most successful companies in the world. My mother and I had all the luxury in the world. We lacked nothing." I started, looking at him. "I was five years old when I first met Tony. I was just playing outside when one day my dad came home and introduced me to my brother, Tony. Before he married my mother, he was in love with another woman and because of class differences, my father was forced to leave his love behind. He didn't know she was pregnant and by the time she found out, their son had already grown into an 11-year-old boy. The woman could no longer take care of Tony and contacted my father. When he was 12 and I was 5, dad brought him home. My mother accepted him with open arms and everything was going fine. He was the best brother I could ever ask for. He took care of me as if I were his child," I spoke my tale dreamily. "But one day..." My expression changed. "We found out that my mother was suffering from this incurable brain tumor and not long after, she died. My father got severely depressed and not soon after, he passed away due to a drug overdose. The company fell into Tony's and I guess it's the money that turned him into this greedy man. I soon became his puppet and it wasn't long before he didn't only just hit me, but also started raping me."

Hunter's jaw clenched. "Why did he stab you?"

"He found out about you and got jealous. He found that the pure woman he took advantage of was now not something that could please him. He found me to impure for his hands. The burn you saw on my hands..." I spoke softly, tears streaming down my face as I looked at my hand. "They weren't from self-harm, but rather a result of Tony's cold heart."

"Where is he now?" Hunter asked, fuming with anger.

"I don't know... He just disappeared."

"I see..." he sighed. "You should rest."

"But... but..." I pouted. "I want to keep talking to you."

"No, you have to rest."

"Hunter!" I cried like a kid. "You're such a jerk!"

He chuckled. "Babe, one day you'll say that I'm the best person you've ever met."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. I'll just go to sleep then."

We laid down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I heavy breath left my mouth as my thoughts wandered. Regardless the fact that I was horrified, I also felt relieved and happy that I was now somewhere far away, to a place Tony could never reach me. All I wanted was to be happy and I think that I have that now.

"Hunter..."

"Hmm?" I heard him hum.

"Out of all the people at school, what was so special about me? You could've found anyone else." I locked eyes with him.

"Look, there was just something about you that attracted me, okay. In the beginning it wasn't attraction though. The first time I saw you, I noticed the bruises on your arm. I was confused as to why no one else had noticed it, so I took upon myself to keep an eye on you to confirm whether or not you were being abused. Well, I didn't really see any other bruises after that and just assumed that you hurt yourself. I guess it was in that period that I started catching feelings for you. There's just something about you."

I smiled. "Didn't know you could be cheesy."

He snorted. "Shut the fuck up and go to sleep."

You really aren't as everyone says you are, Hunter.