9 ~ Names

Industry and services on Anga-Param and Anla-Purum were in constant growth and flux. Local Councils approved what they deemed appropriate for their locality. They did consult with Regional Councils because they could overrule a Local Councils' decisions. The interplay between Regional and Territorial Council rulings was more complex and definitely became quite a challenge when the power of the Worlds' Council came into the equation.

In spite of this multilayered oversight, the growth continued and the flux intensified. There was still room for the enterprising individual or group to find ways to use the various levels of regulation for their own purposes. One particularly favored method was to bide one's time with the actual set-up of a business until the proper people were in place on the Regional or Territorial Councils. The activity of covert politics was rampant. There were groups of people devoted to each level of the governmental structure whose employment was strictly the currying of influence with individuals who had a larger sphere of influence. Some, who had the leisure and wherewithal, estimated that twenty percent of all Local and Regional Council members were beholden to trade and service groups. Because of the closer tie between the Territorial and Worlds' Councils, the estimate was closer to ten percent.

Trade and commerce regulations were overseen by boards appointed at each level of government and enforced by the appropriate level of Protective Force. In all the years since the formation of the current governmental structure, there had been only 98 instances of regulation by force, most infringements of law being settled by mediation. The Worlds' Council had yet to bring the Worlds' Protective Force into direct coercive action.

Still, the best single word to describe the Worlds' economic activity was frenzy. And, this term was certainly most appropriate after settlement of Angla-Palli had begun.

The first contingent of settlers had inhabited a portion of the land mass now called Surai, connected to the large peninsula that had been the first outpost for exploration. Three more voyages had brought settlers to three more land masses—Mero, Amar, and Ardros.

There were now nearly 70,000 settlers on Angla-Palli and they were mostly involved in the export of various plant and mineral substances. Delva and Morna had determined that any non-liquid form of Anglana's substance was perfectly safe for use on other Worlds. Naturally, the amount of these exports was strictly controlled by Anglana. Any attempt to export more than Anglana wished was met by atmospheric plasma stunning. The planet was inhabited by a protective force stronger and more rational than the other Worlds had at their disposal.

Needless to say, Anglana also controlled any indigenous misuse of her planet's resources. If there were any settlers who had successfully fooled the rigorous selection process, they quickly were discovered, and, if their activity was egregious, banished from the planet.

Anglana also controlled importation of goods. She had relied on Delva and Verluin and the other five who had incorporated with her to oversee the importation of service activities.

Since the first group of five, who had now become another of Delva's Mediation Boards, only seventeen others had passed the testing. They were being considered as Territorial Council members but Anglana had yet to agree to complete alignment with the Worlds' Council.

~~~

What had once been simulated recreational use of the Worlds' Mesh had evolved into a wealth of news, information, and study sub-Meshes. There was still a recreational Mesh but it was no longer used as a method of mass control.

There were also Local, Regional, and Territorial Meshes and a completely isolated Mesh for the Worlds' Protective Force.

People could have their own private Meshes but access had to be granted to the Territorial Councils' oversight. This particular point of law was the impetus for the formation of many groups of somewhat organized Independents and Dissatisfieds. It also spawned a definite increase in bootleg electro-plasma devices.