The Alpha's Only Heir- Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

“That would work.” Nodding I continued to draw explaining how I thought a phone-tree style would help simplify things. “We’ll have one person in each location they gather the information and send it back to for us to compile it. We’ll schedule daily visits to the outer regions…”

Spinning on my heels I turned and went to the back wall grabbing some push pins on the way. Dividing each of the six original states in fours, I put green push pins in different sectors of each state. “We’ll start with these and work our way outwards.” Then I pushed blue pins in the newer states.

“Now this I can do.” Kelli smiled and whipped out a cell phone from her back pocket. “Do you want me in here or is the hallway okay to get started?”

“Whatever works best for you.” Pulling open the top drawer I grabbed a notepad and tossed it to her. “You might need this thought.” With a smile and a wave she left, her phone pressed to her ear.

----------

I was trying to sort out a load of household accounting paper work while in the back of my mind I sorted out facts and such of different nature entirely. Multi-tasking at its best. A knock came at the door and a quick sniff told me I need not stop. “Come in.”

“Good morning Lily.” I motioned for him to have a seat before I dropped the papers rubbing my eyes. I gave him a weak smile and motioned to my desk. “I’m trying to organize all this. But that’s like trying to find a needle in a haystack- one the size of Alaska.”

He gave a small chuckle that seemed a bit forced but I wasn’t about to call him out on it. One look at him and I realized last night weighted hard on him too.

“What’s up Phil? Cat got your tongue?” I teased him hoping he’d relax, my own nerves were still frayed and I was highly contemplating taking a nap. As much as the energy drink help my fast metabolism had already processed it and I could feel that steady thrum dull down to a barely there pulse of energy.

“Needed to check with you about leaving Mathew with the boys for the rest of today.”

That’s when I did stop working, giving Phil my full attention. “Why?”

“He’s just a little shook up still and I feel being around me is making it worse.”

“Do you remember when Matthew turned three and everything became a story? He had such a great imagination and he’d talk your ear off if you let him.” Watching Phil nod his head I continued. “As great as his imagination was then it’s even bigger now. Unless you take the time to sort through the half truths and pure fantasy you never learn what’s really bothering him.”

“I know what bothering him.”

“You know what’s bothering you. Matthew is fine and all he wants is the Pops back that was teaching him how to play baseball.” I gave him a pointed look before moving back to my papers. “Remember when I was twelve I overheard a conversation I wasn’t supposed to between Grandpa and my father?” I paused to make sure he understood. “You told me very calmly that kids who don’t eavesdrop on adult conversations were doomed to a childhood of ignorance.”

Sighing deeply he heaved himself out of the chair. “You’re right.” A pause. “I guess that means I should grab that new mitt I got him.”

“Got a quick question for you Phil; when do ‘the games’ normally start and go until?” I was carefully not to look at him but I could feel the crackle in my mind as he tried to reach out into mine.

“Last about a week; normally right before the ceremony.” Jotting down a quick note on my pad at my elbow, I went back to shuffling my papers.

“You’re not thinking of going through with it are you?” He asked in a tone that demanded my attention.