Chapter 20: It's Not You, It's Me

Start from the beginning

"I'm starting to second guess this date." I joked.

"Avery loves that song." He went on.

"Whoopty-do." I replied sarcastically.

Aw, you and Avery can bond.

Shut. Up.

"Hey, how do you two know each other anyway?"

"We have lessons-" dammit. Somehow the secret thing keeps slipping my mind.

No, you just forget everything when Avery is mentioned.

"Lessons?" He said in a confused manner.

"Um, a few classes." Well, it wasn't a lie. We did have some together, but I need to be more careful when I mention stuff about Avery.

"History?" He asked in a even more confused manner.

"No, English, Chemistry and Gym." I replied back, not sure of what he meant.

"Oh, I just imagined you'd have history not classes." He spoke quietly.

"Oh."

"Yeah."

I wanted to ask why that would matter if we did have history together, but silly ol' Gracie said no thanks to leaving her comfort zone.

The rest of the ride was mostly filled with the sound of the music, with the occasional few conversations, but it was nonetheless comfortable. Well, as comfortable as we can get.

This type of silence between us is when two friends don't really run out of things to talk about, but just don't talk. It was that silence that could be broken at any moment but the mutual decision to just to enjoy the company was there.

I kinda wish Avery and I were like this. Hanging out, sitting in a quiet peace. But despite what he told me at our session, he still seemed off. Of course I wanted to press further and understand what was making him act like that, but let's be real, we don't know each other. We're not friends. We are strangers. Strangers who kiss because my friend made an agreement for me.

Not that I like Avery, and not that I don't, I just want to know him better. I don't know how long we'll be in each others lives, but for the time being, I'd like to know the person I'm spending time with.

I could compare Avery to Dylan, but they're two different people. Dylan makes the effort to hang out, while Avery expects all the physical benefits.

No comparing? Yeah right.

We drove until Dylan pulled up to a very large building that could as wide as an airport.

I was too busy admiring the building I had only seen a few times. There was a smaller mall that was closer to home, it was the only one I've ever been to.

I didn't notice that Dylan parked. He walked over to my side and grabbed my hand, initiating I step out of his vehicle.

"Oh. Sorry." I muttered as my cheeks heated up. I felt a bit if dread as he took my hand.

He was so different now.

I'm not sure why, but the memories from the party returned to my mind. The way he acted when we were alone in the hallway, clingy then completely disappearing once I rejected his kiss. It could've been the alcohol. It most likely, definitely was the alcohol.

The way he told he told me that he used me to brag to his family about having a girlfriend also made my stomach slightly grow heavier. We had only been on one date previously to that, so it was a little odd to hear him refer to me as his girl. But I still liked him, regardless if it was a tiny crush. Regardless if I actually had feelings for him or not, hearing that someone used you for their own benefit doesn't feel good.