Chapter 4

Disclaimer: Paramount Studios and the estate of Gene Roddenberry own copyright of all things Star Trek. The original plot is my own as are any characters created specifically for this story. 

'Dammit!' 

'Will', commented Picard reprovingly, 'now, let's examine the situation calmly.' Riker simmered. 'Calmly!' spluttered Kira, who was sat over the other side of Odo's office. Picard silenced her with a glance. 'Yes Colonel, calmly. If we do not remain calm then we may well miss something vital in our haste. Correct Mr. Data?' 

'That is correct sir. Studies have shown that when human subjects have been given problem solving tasks the following results have been observed. That in nearly all cases where the participants had previously been subjected to stressful external stimuli their performance was significantly impaired in comparison to that of..' 

'A simple 'yes' would have sufficed Data', Picard interrupted him quickly, realizing his mistake, and sensing another onslaught of information from the android. Data stopped speaking. He was beginning to realize, not for the first time, that when a question was posed, the longer answer of those available was not necessarily the one the speaker required. 

'So', Picard continued, 'options ladies and gentlemen?' He waited. 'Prevent Evek from leaving DS9.' Riker. 'Follow him.' Kira. 'Place a surveillance device on his ship. Monitor his movements closely. As he is now the only major player in this scenario that we know, we must keep close watch on him.' 

They all turned to the speaker, Odo. 'Constable', spoke up Kira, 'how do you propose achieving that end? We don't even know what ship..' 

'The Chervas, A Talarian freighter.' The voice startled them; 'Colonel?' All eyes turned to Kira. 'While you were speaking I was running down the arrival and departure logs for the past twenty-four hours. The Chervas arrived half an hour before Quark saw Evek in the bar. It leaves in ten minutes. And it has filed a flight plan that takes it very near to Cardassian space. Not difficult for the Cardassians to pull it in under suspicion of smuggling. At the same time returning a particular Gul back to the fold.' 

'Very good Colonel. Now we have to move quickly. Odo, as you seem best suited to the job, I want you to place the tracking device. Picard to LaForge. I want a very small device, which we can attach unobtrusively to a ship, enabling us to shadow its movements easily, from a great distance.' 

The reply came over the communicator, 'No problem sir.' Confident. 'Within ten minutes Mr. LaForge, if you please.' There was a pause, 'Ah. Data I could do with a hand if you're not busy?' 

'Certainly Geordi. Data to Enterprise. One to beam up.' The familiar column of light enveloped Data as the transporter chief on the Enterprise locked on to his coordinates. In five seconds the cycle was complete and Data was gone. 

____________________ 

Julian sat up. Who would be visiting him at this time? 'Er.. come!' 

The door slid open to reveal.. Deanna Troi. Not in Starfleet uniform, he was quick to notice. A rather interesting, and aesthetically very pleasing, alternative though. It was a bottle green skirt, ending well above the knee. Julian started to sweat. Then he saw Will Riker behind her. And Worf whom he recognised from his prior tours of duty onboard DS9. Lastly Beverly Crusher, similarly dressed to Deanna, although her dress incorporated even less material than the former, due to a lengthy slit up its side. 

'May we come in? We're one short. Do you play poker at all Julian?' He smiled; 'Er, poker, is that a game of some sort?' He inquired innocently. You didn't need to be Betazoid to see that he did, and fancied himself as quite good. 'Yes, it is', replied Riker slowly, 'and that line never works. I've tried it myself.'