03 | rєαℓℓу ∂σn'т cαrє

Start from the beginning

I blinked, feeling slightly dizzy and nauseous, and the loud music wasn't doing much to help my headache. I needed to get out of here.

Since a cab was out of the question, I reached for my phone to call Scar. He didn't pick up the first time, not like I had expected him to, but I kept calling until he finally did.

Except it wasn't his voice on the other line. "What the fuck do you want, Trey?"

I rolled my eyes. It would've been stupid to think that Scar wasn't with Jamie. Ever since they met at the kissing booth a year ago, Jamie slowly began to replace me as Scar's right-hand man. I don't think that Scar ever realized it, but it actually hurt to know we weren't as close as we used to be.

"I need to talk to Scar."

"He's sleeping," he retorted.

"I know, but I need to talk to him. It's important."

Jamie sighed in frustration, but he eventually complied. The first thought that entered my mind when Scar's voice flowed into my ears was that he had one of the sexiest voices in the entire world - deep and rough.

"Trey, it's four in the morning," he noted.

"Yeah, I know, I just need a ride home. I went to a club with a dude and he got me drunk, then he ditched me and I have no money to call a cab and my parents are—"

"Trey," he drew out. "I'll be there. Just text me the address."

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. "God, thank you!"

"Uh huh," he responded, then hung up the phone.

As soon as I got the chance, I texted him all the necessary details and slid off the bar stool. My body was undeniably hurting, but it was nothing compared to the pain of betrayal in my chest. I knew I shouldn't have trusted Owen, but I managed to put myself in harm's way just because he was sorta attractive.

But I learned my lesson: don't ever date racist guys.

Desperately stumbling out of the club to relieve myself of my throbbing headache, I stepped onto the sidewalk and leaned against the nearest wall, wrapping my arms around myself and watching the streets for any sign of Scar's jeep.

In just two days time, I had thrown a huge birthday party, slept with someone I couldn't remember, got a tattoo, bought a dildo, got beaten up, met a stranger who stitched me up and took me to a club, only to get me hammered enough to completely pass out just so he could steal my money.

My first two days of adulthood were just dandy!

"Hey, you're still alive!" I heard a familiar voice call out. Sure enough, when I turned my head to meet the voice, I saw Owen lurking in the darkness with his hands shoved deep into his pockets. As he neared closer to me, I found myself being swarmed with a wave of anger. I swore to myself that if he got any closer, I would punch him in the face.

And that was exactly what I did when he stopped just a few feet away from me, wearing a conceited grin.

He stumbled backwards, clutching his jaw. "What the fuck! You little..." He advanced toward me and gripped onto my neck with both hands, his nails digging into my flesh. Out of pure instinct, I grabbed onto his wrists in a pathetic attempt to release his hold on me, but that only made his forest green eyes flare with anger. He shook me roughly and threw me against the brick wall. My body hit the wall so hard that I couldn't stand anymore, so I slumped onto the asphalt.

Owen laughed. "Look at you, kid. You're so fucking helpless. You should be grateful. If I hadn't saved your ass..."

His words washed over me. I couldn't find it in myself to listen to him. All I knew was that I really, really hated him.