26 - Breakaway

MIKA

The realization about my true feelings for Jeron hit me like a bullet.

But perhaps I didn't really need a doctor. I needed a break.

A time away from him.

A Jeron-less vacation.

Malay ko ba, baka nasanay lang ako na nandyan siya. Tapos kailangan ko lang ulit masanay na wala siya.

Buti na lang bakasyon na, at buti na lang, nagkaayos na kami ng pamilya ko.

I'm spending the holidays with them in one of the private beach homes in Nasugbu, Batangas. It's a beautiful place located in the exclusive gated subdivision of Tali Beach.

Nang makarating kami sa lugar, una kong napansin ang dalawang magkatabing villas, one of them we'll be occupying.

Bigla ko tuloy naisip ang tirahan ko sa Mapayapa.

And it led me to the thought of my neighbor.

Aiiisssshhhh, Mika.

Diba ang usapan hindi mo siya iisipin?

I took a deep breath and calmed my mind as my ears basked in the sound of the sea waves.

*****

"Anak, ok ka lang ba?", Bhaby asked her daughter when she saw her eyes closed.

"Yes Ma. May naisip lang.", Mika answered.

"Ipakilala mo naman sa amin yang naisip mo.", the mother said teasingly.

"Ma naman eh. Tao agad? Hindi ba pwedeng bagay? Lugar? Hayop? Pangyayari?"

Bhaby laughed at her daughter's response.

"Hindi mo naman sinabing gusto mo palang maglaro ng Pinoy Henyo, 'nak. Matangkad ba 'to? Chinito? Gwapo?", she joked.

"MAAA. Grabe kayo. Ayoko na ngang isipin eh. Pinapaalala niyo naman.", Mika absent-mindedly blurted out.

Her mother squealed in delight.

"Dalaga na pala talaga ulit ang anak ko! Sabi ko na nga ba eh.", she said with a victorious smile.

Napapikit na lang ulit si Mika at napahawak sa kanyang noo.

"What did I get myself into?", she thought.

Mika wondered how her mother was able to make the right guess, but then she remembered that Jeron is the only "new" person in her life whom they have met. She hasn't introduced him properly though, because of the attempt to keep her identity hidden during Nathan's birthday, only to find out that her parents knew of her secret all along.