24 - Number One

Jeron knocked thrice on Matthew's door and waited for him to open up.

"Coming!", the unit owner shouted.

"Hey Mi--- Anong ginagawa mo dito? Where's Mika?", Matthew asked in surprise upon seeing the unexpected and unwanted guest on his doorstep.

"Why? Am I not welcome here? Mika can't come tonight. Masyado nang gabi for her to be out, let alone with a man like you. Kaya ako na lang proxy.", Jeron said as he forced himself inside the house.

Wala nang nagawa si Matthew nang makapasok ito at makita ang inihanda niya sa mesa.

"Wow. You really prepared a fancy dinner. Thanks ah. Gutom na rin ako.", sabi ni Jeron sabay upo sa hapag-kainan.

The table was set for two, and on it were a plate of pasta, chicken fingers and a bottle of wine.

Jeron helped himself and tasted the food without any permission from the other man who stood frozen in front of him.

"Masarap ah. I'd say my mom's cooking tastes better though. Anyway, what are gonna talk about? Ayoko ring magtagal eh.", Jeron said casually as he poured himself a glass of wine and drank it.

"Pamapalakas ng loob.", he thought.

"I have nothing to tell you. Kay Mika ako may sasabihin. I think you should leave now.", Matthew replied.

He went to the door afterwards and left it wide open.

"Matthew. Anything you want to tell her, you can tell me. Sasabihin ko naman sa kanya eh, verbatim pa.
Pero kung wala ka talagang sasabihin, ako meron."

Hindi nagsalita yung isa at hinintay siyang magpatuloy.

"Give her the right grade for your paper. Alam mong pinaghirapan niya yon. She doesn't deserve a failing mark.", Jeron said seriously.

"Yes, I know. And I wouldn't have given her that kung di ka pumapel. She has to realize that she needs me and not you. Sino ka ba talaga at ang lakas ng loob mong sunduin siya at ngayon sumugod dito? Mika and I have been friends since freshman year in med school. If you didn't arrive that night to fetch her, edi sana kami na ngayon."

Hearing Matthew's words, Jeron did not miss the grudge that the guy has harbored against him.

"The truth is, I have nothing to boast about. Pero since tinatanong mo kung sino ako, I'm going to introduce myself formally."

He stood from his chair and faced the unit owner who remained to be at a far distance because he was standing by the door.

"My name is Jeron Teng. Marketing graduate and a freelance photographer. Does Greenlight Hotels ring a bell?", tanong niya rito.

Matthew's forehead creased upon hearing his question but he still chose to answer it.

"Of course. That's where my father works. He's the general manager of one of their branches. What does it have to do with you?", he asked with a smug look on his face.

"Well, I didn't want to say this pero pinilit mo ko eh.
My father, Alvin Teng... is the owner of that hotel chain. You know that he's capable of making a decision which can change your life, considering that it's just your dad who works for your family, and your cousins.", Jeron answered.

"How did you---"

"Nakausap ko siya kahapon. Kaya kung ako sayo, sundin mo na lang ang sinasabi ko. You don't want to be the reason behind the loss of his job, right?"