Chapter 5- Facing Fears... or Not

Start from the beginning

"So that's why you're putting it on," Harry said very angry, "try to get Hagrid fired."

"Well," said Malfoy, lowering his voice to a whisper, "partly, Potter. But there are other benefits too. Weasley, slice my caterpillars for me."

I took the caterpillars looking at Ron.

"I'll take care of it Ron, don't worry," I said with a small smile towards Ron, who glared at Malfoy angrily.

"Orange, Neville" Snape said suddenly, making me look up an surprise and accidentally cut my finger; I cursed silently. Harry noticed and was about to come when I healed it with wandless magic. Harry looked between shocked and impressed and I cheekily winked at him, sticking out my tongue.

"Orange; tell me boy, does anything I say penetrate that thick skull of yours? Didn't I state plainly that a dash of leech would suffice? What do I have to do to make you understand, Longbottom?"

Neville was trembling. I felt bad for him; he was clearly terrified of Snape. He was a nice guy though, really friendly too.

"Please sir," Hermione interrupted, "please, I could help Neville put it right–"

"I don't remember asking you to show off, Miss Granger" He said. What's wrong with this teacher? "Longbottom, at the end of this lesson we will feed a few drops of this potion to your toad to see what happens. Perhaps that will encourage you to do it properly."

"Hey, Harry," said Seamus Finnigan, "have you heard? Daily prophet this morning – they reckon Sirius Black's been sighted."

"Who's Sirius Black?" I asked, but they ignored me.

"Where?" Harry asked.

"You seriously don't know who Black is?" Malfoy said grinning mockingly.

"Malfoy, if you're going to be a jerk, just save it for someone who wants to hear it," I said, completely tired of his antics.

"Relax a little, why don't you? Why do you even snap at me like that?" he asked with a frown, clearly not pleased I didn't put up with him.

"Hm... I don't know I mean, you're so good to people, a real charmer; calling people idiots after they said they were sorry, trying to embarrass everyone you don't particularly like, and being a prick to everyone around you in general. Gee, I guess that I was really mean to you for no reason at all," I said, my voice full of sarcasm.

"Touché," He said with a small sideways smile, which actually did take me a little by surprise "I don't get why you're in Gryffindor, honestly." He added silently, as if expecting me not to hear.

"And why is that? I asked unimpressed.

"You just don't strike me as a Gryffindor. You'd be good in Slytherin, as much as you'd hate to admit it," He said shrugging.

"I don't entirely agree," I said easily. "I do feel like I fit in in Gryffindor; and I wouldn't hate being in Slytherin, I'd just hate being in the same house as you."

"Wow, thanks" he said sarcastically.

"My pleasure," I replied with a smile.

He stared at me with a confused but amused expression, letting out a small mocking scoff.

"You know," I said seriously, looking at him in thought. Right now, as much as he was still cocky and vain, he wasn't being a complete pain in the ass. Maybe I had been misjudging Malfoy because of my hatred for his father. He's not Lucius, he's Draco after all. "If you didn't try to be a jerk all of the time, you wouldn't be as annoying to be around. I don't get why you like being a prick."