25. Cheer Squad

Akane POV
(Next day ~ After school)

While the boys were practicing for the upcoming inter-high preliminaries, I stood next to Nanami with a poster in my hands while she was holding a picket sign with the words 'Please join!' on it. The two of us were put in charge of recruiting people to join the cheer squad for Nekoma with Yamamoto's little sister, Akane.

How this ended up happening is beyond my imagination but it's definitely a change of pace from what the two of us usually do as managers.

We watch Akane shout through the megaphone to catch people's attention and walk over to them to persuade them to join the cheer squad.

"She's quite energetic, isn't she?" Nanami says and the first thing that I think of is her older brother.

"She is, she's just like Yamamoto in that perspective," I point out.

"That's true, isn't it?" Nanami says and lets out a laugh. "But seeing her give it her all makes me want to do the same."

"That's true," I giggle.

"By the way Akane, I talked with Coach Nekomata before we came here and it's been decided that you're going to be the one managing the team,"  Nanami tells me and my eyes widen.

"How about you?" I ask.

"I'll sit in the benches with Akane and the cheer squad," Nanami answers.

"How come? Why don't we both help out?" I suggest.

"Coach Nekomata says that only one manager can be beside him during the matches. He told me that we could decide between ourselves but I told him that I wanted you to do it," Nanami explains.

"Really? I don't know if I can..." I admit, realizing the trouble that may occur during the matches if I make a mistake and misread something.

"I'm sure you can. You're amazing when it comes to helping out the team and the team needs that," Nanami states. "Besides don't feel bad about me Akane. I'm a first-year and I have a lot of chances to help out."

"Nanami... thank you," I smile.

Nanami grins. "Of course!"

Akane suddenly pops up and looks over to Nanami. "Nanami, can you ask if the girls' cheerleading team is willing to join the cheer squad?"

"... You know Kuroo was joking about inviting cheerleaders right?" Nanami tells Akane and she scratches her chin deep in thought.

"He was but it wasn't a bad idea though," Akane says and snaps her fingers. "With a cheer squad and cheerleaders, we will definitely catch the attention of the audience and motivate our teammates. It's a perfect idea! So c'mon Nanami go go go~" Akane says as she pushes Nanami's back.

Nanami sighs realizing her words were going in one ear and leaving through the other. "Fine, I'll convince them to join us, just as long as I'm not in it."

"Of course!" Akane grins.

Once Nanami leaves, it ends up being just the two of us. I glance over to Akane as continue to invite people into the cheer squad. Even though we have similar names, we're so different. Akane is really outgoing and isn't afraid to speak her mind.

The way she is what I want to be like again but it's not easy. Ever since I became deaf, I closed myself from getting too close to people and it wasn't till I met Kenma and the team that I slowly began to open. Yet no matter how much I force myself to be open and friendly like her, it wouldn't be the same.

"Yamamoto do you want to take a break?" I ask.

"Sure but remember even though we have the same name you can still call me Akane," Akane scolds me.