20. Traveling Companion

Kenma POV

After arriving to Karasuno High, I awkwardly stand in front of the orange curly-haired boy that I met a few days ago. I watch Shoyo blink a few times after seeing me and a sweatdrop falls behind the back of my head.

Does he recognize me?

His eyes widen and his mouth opens. "GWAH!?"

A black hair girl smacks him on the back of his head. "Hinata! Don't gawk over a person, they'll get awkward over it!" She scolds and Shoyo covers his mouth.

Everyone stares at the two of us and there is an awkward silence. I knew that when I was going to come here that I was going to be recognized by him but he brought too much attention to us.

"Greet your opponents" Karasuno's volleyball captain shouts, clearing the awkward silence.

"Let's have a good game!!!" We both shout to each other.

After the team greetings, I head into their gym and I take out my cellphone to check the time. I wonder how Akane is doing? Yesterday after I found her, she passed out from exhaustion. I tried to wake her up but she didn't budge, she must have been stressed out not knowing how to get back.

I tap my messenger app and text Nanami.

How is Akane doing?

Right now Nanami is watching over Akane back at Tsukinokizawa High training camp facility. Last night, everyone in the team agreed that she needed to get some proper rest after everything that happened to her yesterday. Nanami volunteered to stay and take care of Akane while we head over to Karasuno.

I sigh.

Thinking back, Coach Nekomata was definitely suspicious of us when he saw all of us coming back together yesterday night. He asked us what happened last night and why Akane was sleeping on Kuroo's back. I remember how everyone froze from his questioning except for Kuroo who just smiled as he easily made up a reasonable excuse about Akane not feeling so well. I don't know whether or not the coach believed Kuroo's words, but he just chuckled and let us go.

Once we hit the dorms, everyone surrounded me. They asked how I found Akane and why she was sleeping on my shoulder when they found me. I vaguely told them what happened while avoiding to tell them the truth about Akane. They all took it in well except for Kuroo, who was analyzing me for more answers.

It's annoying how Kuroo knows me too well. He's my childhood friend, so of course, he would know all my habits when I lie. Hiding secrets from him is close to impossible. Even so, I didn't want to reveal anything without her permission. Akane should reveal the truth herself. There must be a reason why she kept it to herself but I hope she would at least open up to the team about her secret.

"Kenma!" Someone calls out to me.

"Ah." I turn around and see Shoyo wave to me as he comes over.

Now that I think about Shoyo and Akane are pretty similar. They're both outgoing, friendly, and energetic. I can never get used to it... but I don't hate it.

"Kenma, is it true that you're from Nekoma!?" Shoyo blurts out.

I nod my head. "Yeah," I answer thinking that's it's pretty obvious after our introductions.

"Why couldn't you have told me?" He pouts and I shrug.

"You didn't ask," I bluntly tell him.

"...." He stares at me with a blank look. "But you said 'until next time' when you left! So you must've known!!!"