15. Going On A Trip

Akane POV
(Next day ~ in the gym)

Today was just a normal day of volleyball practice for us until Coach Nekomata called all of us together after practice to announce to the team something that I would have never anticipated to hear from him.

"Yesterday I got a call from an unexpected person but after hearing the offer he made, I just had to accept. This weekend we will have a practice match hosted by Karasuno High School and because of the far distance from here to Miyagi, I planned a practice match with Tsukinokizawa High two days before our match with Karasuno. This means we'll be staying over for a couple nights in Miyagi," Coach Nekomata happily tells the team and my eyes widen after reading his lips.

"Staying over night..." I mumble.

I never expected this. No... I should've known that something like this was going to happen at some point. I'm just surprised how soon it was for us to have an overnight practice. If it was here, it would be fine but the fact that it's all the way in Miyagi...

Would I be able to go under my circumstances? I know my parents would be worried if I told them that I wanted to join the boys' volleyball team's practice match at Miyagi and for sure Aoi is going to burst out angry if he hears that I want to join them.
I swear, Aoi is always a little more over-protective than he should be when it comes to these kinds of things.

"Akane what's wrong?" Nanami asks me as she puts her hand on my shoulder concerned for my well-being and I snap out of it.

"It's nothing... Are you going Nanami?" I ask.

Nanami's eyes widen and she purses her lips. "I want to... but I'm not sure yet. We need parental permission after all and even now I still haven't..."

"Nanami?" I tilt my head confused realizing she stopped talking midway.

Nanami sighs. "I'm not sure if I'm going yet but you should go. It would be a good experience."

"But it wouldn't be fun without you. I would be the only girl there," I admit. "Besides, Miyagi is a new place never explored. You should go." I smile.

"It's not exactly a new place for me... but if I go I might see my older brother again," Nanami quietly mumbles but I catch the words she makes out.

Older brother...

She has an older brother?

"Hey Nanami--?" I try to ask her a question but her attention turns to Lev who's pleading to Coach Naoi about joining the practice.

...

Well it wasn't just her. The entire team was staring at him with hopeless looks on their faces.

"Why can't I go??? I want to come too! Please!!" Lev insistently begs and Coach Naoi sighs.

"You just joined today. You wouldn't know anything if you were to come. When you have more experience then you can join the team in their off-site practice matches," Coach Naoi explains and Lev pouts.

"I agree. He's basically a nuisance," Yaku sighs. "We don't need him to join the upcoming practice."

Kuroo laughs. "You're too harsh Yaku, not that I'm surprised."

"Kuroo's laugh..." Nanami mumbles. "It keeps ringing in my ears. Is this a curse???"

I stare at Nanami with a deadpan look. What is she talking about?

I notice Kenma standing next to Kuroo and realize he's looking my way. My heart races and I quickly turn away.

Right after I turned my head away, I immediately regretted it. I feel so bad. Why am I acting like this?