Chapter XIV

I was picked up by a Deep Vault jet and whisked quickly back to the Glory. As we flew over the harbor, I saw our delivery boats racing back to the fleet, carrying shrouded figures. I realized that they were carrying back the dead and dying from the native units.

     The second we touched down on the deck of the Glory, we were swarmed by a crowd of celebrating sailors. As I rose from the cockpit, a wild cheer erupted from the crowd. Fireworks were launched from the other ships. Everyone began to sing the song that they had sung on our way out. Evidently they had heard the good news. As I walked down to the deck, I was mobbed by ecstatic sailors. I shook as many hands as I could, but I was soon overwhelmed.

     In the midst of the mob, I saw Andronicus forcing his way forward. He wore a look of profound distress. Eventually he found his way to me.

     "Jack," he said, "come with me. Now."

     I followed him quickly. The crowd parted before us, wondering what the matter was. I felt a deep sinking in my stomach as Andronicus led me to the infirmary. We weaved in and out of stretchers until we came to one in particular.

     Demetrius lay before me, gravely wounded. His face was ashen, his eyes were closed, and most of his body was covered in a bloodstained white sheet. Lysander and Aurelia stood over him, tears welling in their eyes. I fully sympathized with them. It pained me deeply to see Demetrius, the noble giant, so small, so vulnerable.

     "Jack," he whispered, barely parting his lips. I kneeled next to him, grasping his hand.

     "Jack," he repeated. His head turned towards mine, and his eyes opened. He smiled. "Did we win?" he asked softly.

     "Yes, Papa D, we won, we won, please, please don't die..." I said, tears flowing down my cheeks.

     His smile grew. "Then I am content," he said softly. "Don't cry for me, Jack. I'm an old man. I am ready to die."

     Aurelia joined me by Demetrius' side. "Please, Papa D," she pleaded, "Please, Dad, please don't die..." Her tears flowed freely.

     "My child," he whispered, "my, how you've grown. You're so big now, so strong. Be strong for me, my daughter. You'll be just fine. I know it."

     Aurelia let loose a sob and buried her head in Demetrius' side. Demetrius embraced her as best he could.

     "Andronicus," he said, "keep at that tinkering, friend. You're a brilliant inventor, and both you and I know it." Andronicus buried his face in hands. Now it was his turn to cry.

     Demetrius looked at Lysander. "Lysander," he said. Lysander leaned in closer. "Lysander, I forgive you. I forgive you." Lysander bowed his head, silently letting his tears fall.

     Demetrius, a look of profound contentment spreading across his face, turned to look upwards.

     "Jack," he said, "take me home. I want to go back to New Harlan. I want to go home..."

     And with that, Demetrius closed his eyes and breathed his last.

     I could no longer hold it in. I let loose a wild sob and cried.

     I cried my heart out that day. Demetrius had earned it.