Chapter X

The plane drifted above the planet, making a lazy circle around the North Pole. I sat back in the copilot's chair, gazing at the stars as we flew. I had never seen them like this before; they were so clear and intense that they were almost blinding. Too soon, we began to descend. I could see the island of Svalbard, a tiny pinprick north of Norway. Our nose pointed to the island, and we pierced the atmospheric barrier.

     The plane began to shake. The window began to take on a reddish hue as the plane heated up. I could hear the roar of air resistance as the heat became more and more intense. It grew so bright that I had to cover my eyes. Then, all at once, it stopped. I uncovered my eyes to see that we were flying over the Arctic ice cap. The engines picked up in intensity, controlling our descent. The ice cap ended and we were flying over open ocean. Still we descended. I could see Svalbard dead ahead, growing larger and larger. Within a minute, we were closing in on the island. The plane deployed its landing gear. I saw a runway on the island, at least three miles long. It ended at the bottom of a sheer cliff. If the landing was botched, we were doomed. The plane adjusted slightly and went in for the landing. We touched down softly. The plane let loose a parachute to slow it down. We lurched forward as the plane decelerated. We rolled to a halt a few hundred feet short of the end. The parachute fell to the ground. We had made it safely.

     Suddenly the plane rolled forward. It moved slowly, but I had no idea where it was going. Suddenly the cliff opened, revealing a well-concealed hangar. The plane rolled through the gates, which closed behind us. Lights turned on overhead, and we discovered that the place was empty. Naturally.

     But, out of nowhere, alarm bells started ringing. Ports on the walls started opening, and small cars came pouring out, surrounding the plane. Armed guards—human guards—came out of the cars, pointing rifles at us.

     "Please step out of the vehicle with your hands up," a voice blared. Demetrius opened the hatch and we all filed out, hands raised. It was nice to see human beings again.

     A man walked up to us, dressed in a crisp uniform. He was obviously an important figure, as the guards lowered their weapons. He looked to be in his seventies, but he was still fit and commanding. He stopped in front of us, eyeing us suspiciously.

     "How did you find us?" he asked curtly. None of us spoke for a while.

     "We talked to Isabel," Andronicus eventually said. The officer did a double take.

     "Isabel? Area 51's AI? But how? The computer was locked such that-"

     "Such that only a true American could possibly unlock it," I interrupted, stepping forward. "The name's Jack Flint, private eye."

     The officer glared at me. "So you unlocked Isabel," he said.

     "I did."

     "Why?"

     "We were looking for a weapon."

     He started to pace, surveying us. "And you, a ragtag group of villagers, thought you could stand a chance at overthrowing Omnimundi?" There was a collective gasp of astonishment. How had he known?

     "Oh yes," he said. "We here at Deep Vault know all about Omnimundi. We were here long before Ravmir was even an idea," he sneered.

     "I'm sorry, sir," I said, "but what exactly is Deep Vault?"

     The officer spread his arms. "We are Deep Vault," he said. "We are the keepers of all things that humans have made. Everything that was ever written, sung, filmed, or said is kept here. We are the final bastion of humanity."

     "Then you can help us," I said.

     The officer looked me over. "Why should we?" he asked.

     "Because the Resistance has fallen," Demetrius said suddenly, stepping forward. He stared coldly at the officer. "Hello, Lysander," he growled.

     The officer gaped in shock. "Demetrius... how...?"

     "It's good to see you're alive and well."

     "But... but... at Omnimundi-"

     "You abandoned us, Lysander!" Demetrius roared. "When we needed you most, you were gone! You bastard! You coward!"

     "I had no choice!" Lysander roared back. He looked down in shame. "I couldn't abandon my people."

     "Abandon your people?" Demetrius' roar shook the walls. He stretched an arm towards us. "What do you call this?"

     Lysander looked up. Tears fell from his eyes. "Demetrius... I'm sorry... I should have told you-"

     "TOLD US WHAT?" His cry shook the earth itself. Suddenly he grew pale. He gaped for words that did not come.

     "Yes, Demetrius. I was a spy. I had to report back here. Demetrius, I'm sorry, I had no idea-"

     Demetrius lunged at him. It took all twenty of us to restrain Demetrius. Angry tears poured down his face as he shrieked and cursed at Lysander. Lysander only bowed his head in sorrow. He too was crying. Demetrius stopped bucking, but still he shook with rage. Lysander looked up, his cheeks wet with tears.

     "Demetrius, I only wish-"

     "Then redeem yourself!" I interrupted. Lysander looked at me.

     "What?" he asked softly.

     "Redeem yourself! Make good on your failed promise!" I took a deep breath, letting my words sink in. "Look, we all know that Omnimundi must be overthrown. All that's left of the Resistance are a few scattered communities. We're one of them. If we're going to win this war, we need an army. We need weapons. We need leadership. We need you."

     Lysander's face lifted. He was beginning to understand. I looked straight at him, my voice building.

     "We must unite if Omnimundi is to fall. We must unite for our survival. We must unite to ensure that the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness will be secured for our children, and our children's children! For the good of our future and all that is just and human, will you join us?"

     A great cheer erupted from both the New Harlanders and the guards surrounding us. I stood, shivering, looking at Lysander. He looked at me, awe coming over his face. He smiled and nodded. The cheers grew even louder. I faced the New Harlanders. Tears of joy streamed down their faces as they too joined in the cheering.

     I caught Aurelia's eye. She smiled warmly at me. She was not cheering herself, but I could tell that she was as exuberant and relieved as everyone else. I smiled back, just as warmly. I turned to face Lysander.

     "How many soldiers do you have?" I asked.

     "Fifty thousand men and women, ready at a minute's notice," Lysander responded. I nodded.

     "Ready the troops," I said. "We sail at dawn."