Chapter 6: Describing Characters

DESCRIBING CHARACTERS

When you first introduce a character, they don't come right out and say, "Hi, I'm John and I have brown hair, I like to play basketball..." and so on. You have to show, not tell. When you describe the character's appearance, do it in a way that makes the reader think. Not in a way where they have to guess, for example, the color of their hair, but a way that doesn't say it.

As an example, for a girl with black hair, you could say, "Her hair resembled the darkness of the night."
That is much better than, "Her hair was black."

For their inner life, such as they love to draw, you don't just come out and say it.

For example, the MC could walk into the character's room, they could see drawings everywhere and interfere that they like to draw. There are much more ways to see what a character is like:

1. If they are unpacking a suitcase, they should unpack pencils and paper, and so on.

2. You could tell about what they like to eat by seeing what's in their fridge or grocery cart. 

3. You can see what type of person they are by looking (or writing) at who they hang out with. 

When you introduce a character's name, this is the one thing you don't have to let the readers guess. You can say it blandly, for example,"And this is Ellie," I said as I pointed at the girl standing in the corner."
You can keep on describing what a character likes to do even after you introduce them. It's always fun to learn new things about them as the story goes on.
Now you know how to describe all of your characters in a story! 

BONUS: What is one of your favorite books?

 If I had to pick one, I think it would be the Harry Potter books.

************

VOTE

COMMENT

LIKE

READ
-kykendall <3