Going and Staying

Within days, the Violent Ones moved to a place near Flat Rocks. Life became more difficult at the bode. Ulun and his group moved freely about. Those at Flat Rocks who had been captives of Ulun were terrified. Many were angry at the Elders Council for bringing the Violent Ones near Flat Rocks, and outraged when Ulun was allowed on the Council. Ulun kept making excuses why he and others from his bode could not pledge to the Agreements.

Geslo set up a sleeping spot a short distance from Flat Rocks to avoid contact with Ulun. More people started to spend time with Geslo because they too wanted to avoid Ulun. A few times, Hanu and Riga came to see Geslo when not many others were around. And Riga started reconnecting with her former Flat Rock friends.

It turned out that the older woman slave who spoke to Saba about the big cat was the creator of the fine bead bracelets and belts that the Violent Ones traded. The old woman soon attracted many at Flat Rocks to watch her work, and while she spoke little, she patiently showed how she formed the beads and strung them together. Many of the children eagerly scanned places in the river to find her the shells she needed. Now they no longer had to worry about being captured and enslaved by the Violent Ones.

With the addition of Ulun and his group, the plans for the Parting gained urgency. The guideposts and markers in the Thinking Circle indicated that the next Traveler, Fighting Cat, would soon arrive in the pre-dawn sky, providing an auspicious time for the Parting to happen.

Zura and Esri spent their days and nights speaking to everyone, planning and speculating about the division of Flat Rocks – who would be in the Parting and who would stay. A good division was needed to ensure the continuation of living by the Agreements and ending the ways of the Violent Ones, both at Flat Rocks and the new bode.

Zura and Esri made a place near the Thinking Circle with two piles of rocks to represent those staying in Flat Rocks and those leaving with the Parting. They wanted to make sure there were enough strong people in both groups.

Zura said, "Fighting Cat is coming in the morning. We'll have the final bodefire tonight. Is everyone ready for the Parting?"

"Yes, almost. I still don't know about Riga and Hanu," Esri said. "I think they want to join the Parting, especially Riga because Saba is going. I can't tell with Hanu. When I talk to them about the Parting, Riga talks about going and he says nothing. If he didn't want to go, he would say something. He is normally not one to stay quiet."

"If Hanu is going, he does not want Ulun to know. We need to find a way to help him leave in the morning."

"How are we going to do that?" asked Esri.

"Leave that to me. Come, let's look at our rocks again and who is going and who will stay."

"Oh, Zura, I'm frightened. I don't know what I'll do without you. I would be dead if it weren't for you, and we would all be dead without you and Nagar. You two made the Agreements that have made Flat Rocks a good place to live after the Ash Rain. You see what others don't. Who will have your dreams and visions in our new bode?"

"You will find all that and more in yourself and the others going with you, Esri."

They stood by the pile representing those remaining at Flat Rocks. "Here we have Tars and Piram. I think often how much we owe to Tars for not harming us when he first found you and me and Dagan. He's a good man. I'm glad he's staying. And Piram," she chuckled. "He's still Piram in the way he talks, but not his actions. You've seen, haven't you? Piram has found a mate among the people we've brought to Flat Rocks. She's a good hunter too. She sees his strengths but doesn't put up with his gruffness."

Zura continued, "Grayla and Jolim, Sela, Muni, and the two children we saved will also stay. Sela feels better knowing exactly where Ulun is and watching what he is doing."

Esri said, "She follows you everywhere, like I did when I was her age."

"She told me you gave her your Huti stone, Esri. Sela will be a great Skywatcher and healer one day. And Wilki and Wilki-Dumu are staying."

"I'm surprised that Wilki is staying at Flat Rocks after what happened to her at Ulun's bode. Maybe it's like with Sela, Wilki wants to know where he is."

Zura said, "Wilki told me she's done with long walks, at least until Wilki-Dumu's naming. After the Parting happens, she told me she'll insist that Ulun pledge the Agreements and make a Healing Time. He won't, but she and others will keep pushing. He remains blind to the influence that she and others who he hurt have at Flat Rocks."

"What will happen with Ulun?"

"Ulun does not understand how his power becomes smaller every day he stays at Flat Rocks. Those he used to control are starting to turn to others who are not like him. He thinks that after the Parting, with fewer people at the bode, he will become powerful again."

"If Hanu and Riga join The Parting, that won't happen."

"Which is why it's so important that they leave with you."

"Let's look at the other pile. Those who are joining me on the Parting. I'll tell you again what each one said to me." Esri picked up the rocks one by one.

"Geslo said, 'I can't stay at Flat Rocks with Ulun. Being around him makes me feel such shame. People will always remember that I came from the Violent Ones, but maybe they'll think less about it in a bode far away from Ulun. I hope that when I'm an old man, they will remember other things about me.'

"Kai: 'Esri, I would miss you too much if I didn't come with you and make you laugh and sing. And, yes, you've seen it. Geslo is like me. I'm happy to be with him. Some may never forgive him, but he's a good man. We'll be good together.'

"Nat: 'Esri, if you go, I go.'

"Barsa: 'I'm getting old but to be on a journey to find the Ancients' Land of the Rising Sun makes me feel like a young man again. And I want to stay with Nat. What a gift from the fates to have been with Zura again and be a part of what she and Nagar started at Flat Rocks, bringing us through the terrible times of the Ash Rain and making us stronger and better. The Agreements will always stay with me.'

"Grilu: 'I know Sela and Muni and most of the other children are staying but I want to stay with you. When you came to Flat Rocks, your singing started to make people smile again. I want to keep singing with you and, anyway, if I go, my cat will come too and protect us.'

"Saba: 'Flat Rocks has always been my home and Dagan's golden rock is not far away. But those who are still alive and dearest to me are going in the Parting and I want to be with them. And I can help with the new babies when they start coming. You need to know that the first baby may be mine. I'm with child. It may slow us a little but it will also give us hope.'"

Esri took a deep breath, "And then, if Riga and Hanu come . . . I never liked Hanu. At the tradings, he would want to show how strong he was and talk all the time. But now, around Geslo's sleeping spot, when he and Riga come, and it's just a few of us, I've seen someone a little different. I'm thinking he might want to be that different person if he's not around Ulun. That's what I want to talk to him and Riga about tonight - even if it takes until Fighting Cat appears."