The Way It Was

"Nashhhhhh, I know you're in there! Open up, it's me, Jack!", he said loudly from outside the door. I wiped my eyes one last time with the pillow before flipping it to the clean side and sitting it down. I took some deep breaths trying to calm myself before I showed my face to Jack, I didn't want to have to explain anything. "Hey Jack", I said as joyfully as I could as I opened the door. "Hey man, no school today? Cool huh, what you doing", he asked barging in pass me. I didn't say anything since it was just Jack, but even with Her out of town for a week, I was still terrified of disobeying her rules. "Yeah there was some kind of kitchen fire last night and they just managed to put it out by 5am so they said no school, just in case, cool huh", he said jumping over the back of the couch and landing on it. Why Jack, ugh.

"So how've you been man, its been a year since we've properly chilled. Anything new?" "Not really", I said, feeling my mood beginning to sour again.

"Well, Mr. Killjoy, me and the guys are going to the school anyway, we're gonna hang out in the football field, and you're coming!", he affirmed, pulling out his phone to text them. "No thanks Jack, I think im just gonna stay here" "NO. You're coming and we're gonna have fun, everyone will be there, JC, Gilinsky, Shawn, Cam, some cheerleaders, itll be great." Shawn...

"I guess I can come", I said. "GREAT! Go get changed and we'll leave now! I think they've already left." Ugh.

--------------------

Shawn's POV

"Get in loser, we're heading to the school", JC yelled from his car across the street. I got into the back of the huge black truck and greeted my new friends Mike & Gilinsky. "So who all's gonna be there", I asked as we pulled off. "Just some girls, us, Jack J & Cameron, Mike knows the locker room code so we can sneak in through there and we'll have the whole thing to ourselves.", Gilinsky explained. "Cool".

As we reached the school, the parking lot was bare, and all the firetrucks I saw on the news that morning were gone, it was deserted. We ran over to the back of the stadium for the outside exit to the locker room. Mike punched in the long code and finally we were in. He sat a brick in the door so that the girls, Jack & Cam could get in. Soon we were on the top row of the bleachers. "Im on top of the world", Mike yelled as Gilinsky wrapped his arms around Mikes waist. "Fags", JC yelled out as they laughed and began to play fight. I cringed at the sound of that word.

"Yo!", I heard Jack yell out from across the field, he was waving at us from the entrance with 6 people behind him. 6? It should've only been 5 people behind him: Cameron, and the 4 girls? As I looked closer I recognized the 7th face, it was Nash. Oh no.

The truth was that, me kissing him was completely unlike me. I knew I was extremely attracted to him, and that meant I was most likely gay or bi, or whatever, but however, I just wasn't ready to express that with anyone, even him. I only kissed him to calm him down. What if now he thinks we have something special, what if he acts like we're dating, or tries to get really close to me all the time, they're gonna find out, and I can't have that.

--------------------

Nash's POV

I should've never signed up for this. Shawn & Cameron all in one place, it'll be hell. I followed them up the stairs to where everyone was, and gave a simple nod to everyone as a greeting, even Shawn.

"Who invited the fag", I heard one of the girls ask JC. "Be nice", he replied. I sat down in the aisle seat 2 rows under them and looked out into the big open space. Above the stadium you could see most of the city, it was beautiful. "Hey!", Cameron said startling me. "Are we still gonna hang out today", he said with a wink. "Yeah, sure" "Cool, ill drive you then", he said before running back up the stairs as if he was in a hurry. I turned back to my skyline and continued to gaze.

"Nash!", Shawn said starling me again. "Me and Cameron are going to Walmart real quick, you want anything?" Oh no. They were leaving, together, and without me! That was at least a 15 minute drive! I became frightened with the thought of what JC or Gilinsky or Mike might do to me while they weren't around. But I also didn't want to go with them, without JC and the guys around, Cameron might feel it's ok to get close to me, and that would ruin things with Shawn. Damn, damn, DAMN! "Hey, Nashhhh man you okay?", Cameron snapped at me. "Yeah, yeah, I don't want anything, just hurry back", I said. Shawn made a confused face then shrugged, running down the stairs after Cameron. At least I had Jack, he would never... WHERE WAS JACK!? I turned around and looked across the entirety of the bleachers: No Jack. "Hey, where's Jack", I asked softly, they shrugged. UGH

10 minutes passed and my beautiful skyline suddenly faded into a dark ominous hell. Inside the stadium was a prison yard, and I was in the rival gang. I knew it was only a matter of time before they approached me, and I was right. I suddenly felt a hand squeeze my shoulder. "Nash, you know our little plan, it only works if you never tell Shawn about how our relationship works ", JC explained as he sat down right beside me. "Yeah, I know, I'd never tell him." "Good, good, because my fist, it kinda misses all the fun we used to have, you know, its been resting for a year now and i don't know, I think it deserves this." I knew it was coming! Gilinsky grabbed my arms from the seats behind me and JCs fist went right into my stomach. "Awww yeah, I missed that", JC said almost orgasming as the girls in the back cheered him on. I pulled up my head to see Jack coming closer and closer up the stairs, finally I was safe. Just then, I felt another blow to my stomach, causing me to jerk forward in pain. "What's going on here", Jack asked as Gilinsky quickly let my arms go. "Nothing, just reminiscing about the good old times with my friend Nash here", JC said as he stepped over my agonizing body. "You got the stuff?" He nodded yes and JC patted him on the back, walking upstairs. Jack looked at me with sad eyes. "Thanks for the invite", I snickered. "Im sorry", he whispered, and continued up the stairs.

Eventually Shawn & Cameron came strolling up the stairs of the stadium. My stomach was still in pain, but I managed to look like I was fine. Shawn took the seat next to me and began to talk about how they got pulled over by the cops and stuff. I barely listened. "Hey Mendes, Grier, come on up here, what are you scared?", JC yelled at us, interrupting Shawn's story. We stood up and made our way up the stairs to where they were smoking weed. I sat away from them and thats how it stayed for hours, while they talked and laughed and smoked like everything was fine.

--------------------

"Those guys are crazy huh", Cameron laughed as we walked into the house. "Yeah, wild", I sighed.  "Your mom home?", he asked moving in close to me and putting his hands on my waist. "No, she um, she's out of town" "Finally alone", he said moving in even closer until our lips were only centimeters apart. His breath was cool and smelled like mint. I knew he wanted to kiss me.

*KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK*

"Damn it. Guess not", he chuckled. I walked over to the door and looked out the window. Shawn... Shit. What was he doing here. "Hey Shawn", I said opening the door. "Hey are you busy", he asked, looking behind me at Cameron & waving. "I was just leaving", Cameron said walking behind me. "Ill come by tomorrow", he whispered in my ear, giving me chills. "Bye man", Shawn said as Cameron strolled past him and he came inside. Awkward

"So how've you been? You were kinda freaking yesterday and really distant today. Is everything cool?", he asked. "Yeah, everything's great."

"So is that all you came all the way over here for?", I asked after an extended period of silence. "Well, I was just wondering if I could do this again", he said moving in closer and closer. He lifted my neck up and placed his lips on mine. It was magical. His hands moved up and clasped my cheeks and I never wanted him to let me go.

"Hey Nash, I think I left-"

Oh no...