Thanksgiving and Old Pianos

Start from the beginning

"Awe, cute." Erin said, and I smiled.

"Yah." I mumbled, as I helped set out the food.

We all sat down and ate together, talking and laughing. Erin threw food at Kelley, as Nike ate it off the floor. Once we all cleaned up, we made our way out into the living room. I noticed an old piano tucked away in the corner.

"Care to play for us?" Karen asked, as she noticed me looking at the piano.

"Um yah, I can try." I said, heading over to the piano. Jerry helped me move it out of the corner so I could sit down, and I then thought of songs I could play.

"Can I make a suggestion?" Kelley asked, and I nodded.

"Of course." I said, resting my chin in the palm of my hand.

"Let it be, by the Beatles." She said, and I nodded.

"Sure thing Kiki." I said, and she smiled. Everyone else smiled and eyed Kelley.

I started playing the piano, the cords coming out. I tried to just use my right hand, but then eventually brought in my left. I then began to sing.

"When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the broken-hearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Yeah, there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Ah, let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be
I wake up to the sound of music,
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
Oh, there will be an answer, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be."

Playing the last few cords, I let out a shaken breath. Everyone smiled at me, as I noticed Kelley was crying. I got up from my spot, and went over to hug her. She stood up, falling into my arms. She cried into my shoulders, as I kissed her temple.

"Let it be, Em. Just let it be." She whispered into my ear, and I nodded.

"Yah, okay." I said, as she pulled away to look at me. I brushed away her tears, as she leaned in to kiss me. It was a small simple kiss, and it was shortly broken. Karen smiled at us, as did the rest of the family.

"Okay you two saps, let's get to the drinking!" Erin yelled, and we all laughed.

"I didn't realize how crazy your sister was." I said, pecking Kelley's cheek.

"Yah, but it's why I love her." Kelley said, kissing my nose.

"And I love you." I said.

"I love you too."

---

Thanksgiving soon ended as me, Kelley, and Nike all headed back to New Jersey. The three of us got home on the first of December. That meant Christmas was approaching, it also meant that mine and Kelley's eight month anniversary was almost here.