FIVE

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ invasive

luke saw alessandra at the side of the field, sitting on a rock. her legs were crossed and she sat with beautiful posture.

"hello lucas." she said not looking up from her book. "you're nervous." she looked up with a skeptical glare.

"well yeah, how do you-"

"how do i what?" she questioned closing her book. "seem to know what you're thinking before the words leave your pathetic pierced lips?" she answered the next question for luke. "yes."

"how are you-"

"i can intercept people's current thoughts. not like see your memories, well i could but, only if you're thinking about it."

"that's invasive."

"and you're destructive." they stared at each other for a brief few seconds. "things tend to shatter and shake, yes?"

"yeah."

"it's the vibrations." she said. "every single atom, neutron, election of proton, ever particle is moving. constantly vibrating." luke broadly remembered something in chemistry class about that. "you can seek out the vibrations and amplify them. it's a rare gift; only one other known gifted had it and she's dead."

"how do you know this?"

"i've been doing this mind game since i was nine," she paused. "i know who to listen to." it was vague answer but luke accepted it.

"they're dna testing in two weeks." she said. luke's heart dropped to his stomach.

"ever since i found out i've been trying to intercept people's thoughts and change them, to make people think differently, think on my terms." she said hugging her arms. "but i can't make it last." luke stayed silent. "i can make them switch the results, like they'd see positive but they'd record it negative." luke looked up at her.

"and what if it doesn't work? or you can't do it?"

"we're most likely going to die."