Chapter Six

Chapter six

Kaneki's pov;

I tapped my fingers on my mug, staring idly at the white sheets. I took a deep breath and shut my eyes to relax myself. Keeping my head hung low, I glanced over to see Hide, with his mug in his hands, looking at me with anxious persistence.

"After I died..." I started, Hide winced at my choice of a beginning, "I was trapped in a dark room. It was cold and confined. I thought I was stuck in a nightmare..." my throat felt dry so I took a sip of my tea.

"Kaneki... you know you don't have to-"

"No, I want to," I interrupted, "you deserve to know," I added, softly.

Hide only gave a short nod and moved to sit himself in a criss cross position. He wiggled his toes and continued to give me his full attention.

"As I became more conscious, the room slowly faded away, it just disappeared like nothing. I found myself staring at the ceiling of my own condo. I thought.. for a second, that maybe I wasn't dead afterall and it was just a dream. But I came to realize that I was lying beside my own dead body. I could hear the sirens outside and policemen faintly talking in another room."

My eyes widened and it felt like they could fall out of their sockets. I screeched in fear and kicked myself far away from my own corpse.

My head was stopped by tape that signalled this was private investigation area. I choked on my saliva and tears, my breathing was critically uneven.

I felt uneasy as I recalled the sick feeling I had, seeing my own dead body in the flesh. Goosebumps ran along my skin, causing a shiver to crawl up my spine. I stared long at the white, empty sheets.

I felt warm fingers caress my knee and I looked up to see Hide giving me a comforting grin.

"Please take your time," he insisted.

It was so soothing to be able to have some sort of physical contact after so long, it warmed my chest. I took a deep breath and attempted to put my hand over his, only for it to slip through. I instantly retracted it, placing it near Hide's hand, pretending that didn't happen. I relaxed and took a small drink of my coffee, pulling my tongue back for it was bitter. I guess I could've added a little more cream.

"I freaked out and cried," I felt his thumb soothingly rub my knee, "I was so confused and scared."

I hiccuped as I sobbed, drool running down the corner of my mouth. I furiously rubbed my eyes, in hopes I would wake up or clear the image of my own corpse. I gripped my hair tightly and brought my knees up to my chest.

I took deep breaths to try and calm myself; or to at least stop the uncontrollable tears. I managed to bring my breathing to a steady rate and stop the tears. My cheeks burned like a raging fire and my chest was sore.

I shakily stood up and looked around, searching for any sign that I was alive and this was just my imagination. There was no one currently in the room I was in but I knew there were people discussing the crime in my bedroom.

"I was about to go into my bedroom to see if I could get some information when a mysterious, hooded figure walked through the door. She had such a casual aura, it irritated me at first but-"

"Wait, she?" Hide cut in, with a raised a brow.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, gazing at him with scrunched eyebrows.

"You knew the hooded figure was a girl," Hide kept his lingering eyes on mine; he seemed so focus.

"At first glance, yes. I also happened to know her," I added, unpleasantly.