Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Hide stood stiff. He stared long and hard at the ground in front of him. There was nothing but hushed whispers, pages turning, and the clicking of typing heard throughout the school library. He smiled to himself as he remembered the shy boy.

"Nyeh," Kaneki jumped up again as he attempted to pry a book down from the top shelf.

Hide glanced over from the textbook he was reading upside down, but didn't know because he wasn't even studying it. He stood from his table and excused himself, his friends only nodded in response. As he approached the petite boy, he found his struggle cute. Hide stood behind the dark haired boy as he was oblivious to Hide's presence and continued to reach on his tip toes.

Kaneki panted and gave up, wearing defeat on his shoulders. Hide snickered to himself with a smile and, without struggling or trying, the book slipped easily into his slender fingers. Kaneki was slightly startled when he noticed the blonde. Hide observed the front title and then looked over to Kaneki who was furiously blushing.

"Here," he piped, holding the book out a bit too harsh that he accidentally punched the docile boy's shoulder.

He flinched, one eye screwing shut and he whimpered a small "ow."

"Ah! I-I'm so sorry," Hide panicked.

Out of instinct, he reached over and hugged Kaneki. Kaneki hadn't stopped blushing and was now clammy at his hands when the clumsy boy hugged him. Hide instantly pulled away, a small blush on his cheeks and he was stumbling over his words.

"Sorry! Again.. Uh, um," He scratched the back of his head, "I'm Hide," he introduced, slowly holding his hand out with extra caution.

Kaneki lightly laughed at Hide's amusing antics, accepting his friendly gesture. His hand perfectly fitting in Hide's. Kaneki's gaze fell to the floor as he blushed at the thought.

"K-kaneki," he looked back up to meet Hide's eccentric eyes.

"Kaneki," Hide repeated and grew a goofy smile, "My new best friend."

"Nagachika!" Hide snapped out of his trance, "Want to hit the cafeteria together?" Hide's friend, Hiroaki, yelled from across the library, waving his arms in the air.

"SHH!" the librarian scolded.

Hiroaki shrugged in shame and embedded a lopsided smile. Hide shook his head, he promised he'd savor not sulk memories of Kaneki.

"I'm coming," Hide whisper-yelled.

He ran his fingers over the dusty title of the book before gently placing it back with a smile and jogging over to Hiroaki. His friend held out his open hand and Hide greeted him with the usual, lame hand shake they did. It consisted of hand slapping, snapping, and for the finale, a "bro hug."

"Good thing you found me because I almost got lost in this place," Hide chuckled as he and his friend proceeded to exit the library.

"Yeah, the last time you came in here was when-" Hiroaki paused and his smile faded, he cleared his throat, "they're serving chicken nuggets today," he wheezed.

Hide's silence caused his insecurities to highten slightly. He rubbed the back of his neck, sliding his hands into his pockets, a habit he picked up from Hide.

"I'm sorry, I-"

Hide took off, running toward a boy with black hair. Hiroaki was taken aback but reacted quickly and ran after.

Hide placed his hand on the small shoulder of the short, black haired boy. He turned to face him and Hide was hit hard with realization.

"I'm so sorry, I thought you were... someone else," he mumbled and the boy only excused it, smiling, and walking away.