Untitled Part 46

The family rose early to be ready in time for the Dodhi Mongol ritual which has to be carried out before the break of dawn. The women preside over the occasion while the men play a passive role supporting them and capturing the moments with their cameras. Married women of the family go to a nearby pond or river to draw water and then visit a shrine to have it blessed symbolising the Ganga; it is then used for bathing the bride or groom. After the ritual bath the bride to-be dons the traditional white saree with a red border and the auspicious shakha paula- white conch shell and red bangles are put on her wrist accompanied by the ulu dhwani. She is then served a meal of yoghurt and rice, with some traditional accompaniments and sweets. As per custom this is the only meal the bridal couple partake before the wedding is solemnised, although in Arohi's case, her mother would surely but secretly slip her some food owing to her undisclosed pregnancy.

As they finished with the Dodhi Mongol the family got ready to have breakfast prepared by the cooks. Randhir noted how Bengalis oscillate between one deep fried choice to another in a Biye Bari- wedding house. The idea of comfort food for breakfast is either radha ballabhi or matarshutir kochuri or luchi-aloo dum. Each batch of luchis which are similar to puris but made with maida-have to be fried freshly, cold luchis are simply unacceptable. And the meal would be incomplete without rich sweets, either a pantua, kalo jamun or shor bhaja- all delectable confection based on evaporated milk. Mishti is all-season fare in Bengal, enjoyed throughout the day.

Sitting in the room quietly by herself Sanyukta felt a connection with the house and not just because of Randhir's family ties. Although she had lived in the city she had never been to this neighbourhood earlier. Yet her nose had picked up the unmistakable scent of the jasmine in the night, and when she peered out of the window she could see the reason herself, hidden partly in a shaded area was a Shiuli tree, as it is known locally. She knew it was a familiar plant here, in fact it was the state flower of Bengal, but her instinct told her otherwise, there was some link of fate yet to be unfettered. How was she to know that the Shiuli she saw from the window was once lovingly grown from a seed by Randhir's Didima and was the predecessor of the one he had planted in Sanyukta's yard. The seeds that were the precious cargo she carried everywhere she went were descended from the same mother tree, binding her in a time loop like a continuity device and interweaving her destiny with Randhir's.

Vidushi carried her breakfast upstairs to share it with her friend who had bathed and changed in Randhir's room. She then went to accost her cousin Sharad who seemed to be walking on a cloud. She knew he had spent hush-hush time with Tapur last night; Randhir's loss had been Sharad's gain, he even got a lucky bonus as she was all riled up. She has vented her frustration of failing to make out with Randhir by ensuring Sharad got much more than what he had expected before she left, having sated herself fully and leaving the boy exhausted. Vidushi grinned to see him still reeling as she asked for his car keys, she had already taken permission from Renuka for both Randhir and her to be going into town for a couple of hours as there was nothing much to do around the house after breakfast and until lunch.

She somehow managed to sneak Sanyukta out of the house, the latter stopped just long enough to impulsively gather some Shiuli seeds before leaving to wait near the street corner down the lane. Vidushi then found Randhir who drove the car as they left assuring their mother that they would be back well in time. They picked up the waiting girl on the way and headed into town as she navigated their way to Nakur Chandra Nandy's iconic sweet shop in Hatibagan to pick up a variety of Sandesh to carry home for Aman and his grandmother, where Randhir refused to let her pay for anything. Their next stop was the puchkawala near PC Chandra Jewellers at the Ultadanga crossing where the girls indulged themselves to their heart's content. Later as they were on their way she pointed out a jhal-muri vendor remarking that she liked his snack because of the sharpness of its mustard oil and the generous amounts of fresh coconut chips in it. 

Randhir already knew she had a Bangla connect; she could speak the language more fluently than he did, he had been standing right next to her as she spoke to the vendors, and now he could see that she was quite familiar with the city. He wondered when she would open up to him about her past though he was quite happy with her unexpected visit, he would always cherish their special night at the Rajbari. He wished they could be together longer but they had just enough time to drive her to the airport as she had a flight to catch. Besides he was returning to Mumbai the very next day. Bidding her goodbye the siblings headed back to the Rajbari, where a traditional lunch awaited them.