Untitled Part 5

Sanyukta was so affected by what had happened she refused to step into the haveli again, only relenting when Vidushi assured her that all was well between her and her Bhaisa. Randhir had guessed that the girls would be appalled by what they saw- it was hardly how they should be indoctrinated about the birds and the bees. He had explained it all very gently to his sister that it was how horses were bred, that the stallion was merely helping the mare make a baby and not hurting her. Hopefully she would bear them a healthy foal in the coming year. Randhir made sure that the senior Shekhawats did not get wind of the little debacle.

He knew Sanyukta was avoiding them because he had scared her off with his temper and he wished he could make things right between the two girls. But then news came that she was laid up with fever so he let things be. Before he returned to school he left her a simple note asking her to take care of both herself and Vidushi and of the jasmine for him- he knew she had become attached to the plant. It was with this peace offering that Vidushi finally convinced Sanyukta and soon things became normal between the friends.

Sanyukta slipped the note in her treasure trove in her sandook, it was the first time someone had written to her! Especially because it was from Randhir she valued it above all, even more than the heritage gold jhumkas that were gifted by her grandmother. In time it became a therapy for her to caress all things that held his memories, mostly the night jasmine.

Renuka had begun to notice a change in Vidushi's deportment, it was as if Sanyukta had become a stabilising force for her, she began taking studies more seriously, her grades improved while her temper tantrums diminished. Harsh Shekhawat pampered the girls by taking them on long drives and indulging them in their favourite treats in the tuck shops in town.

Sanyukta in turn was getting more comfortable in their company. She observed the ways of the wealthy- how they spoke and carried themselves, how they interacted with people around them- palace etiquette and parlance, imbibing everything without saying much. It was as if a portal had opened up, a harbinger to a future her mind had begun to conjure up, and somewhere in the vortex of things lay her increasing fondness for the missing Randhir.