Untitled Part 16

The crystal accents of the chandelier cast their refracted glow as the gathering warmed up to the champagne served in sparkling flutes with strawberries bouncing in them. Butlers in jackets passed around canapés topped with caviar, smoked salmon, olive tapenade and chive cream cheese. Renuka and Harsh Shekhawat played gracious hosts for the evening with the party well attended by Sanyal-Shekhawat Industries shareholders, local and foreign dignitaries and other people involved with the heritage hotel project.

The occasion was intended to create a buzz about the on-coming integration of the Shekhawat Haveli into an internationally renowned hotel chain to transform it into an exclusive luxury enclave for the privileged few. In addition it was also a means to announce the informal debut of Randhir Singh Shekhawat in the management of the group who, after having gone through the obligatory banter of polite conversation with the invitees and the press, was now busy strumming a Spanish serenade on his guitar amidst a cluster of beautiful people closer to his age, in a corner of the plush banquet suite. The huddle also included his glamorous sister Vidushi who was enjoying some cozy moments with the dapper Parth Kashyap.

The compere drew the crowd's attention to the mehfil- a Thumri performance in keeping with the regal flavour of the evening. As the musicians readied themselves the reigning diva of the ancient vocal art took her position in the centre of the stage, joined by a veiled young girl on the tanpura. As people settled down the singer opened with an Alaap and began her soulful rendition of 'Jamuna kinaarey mora gaon, saware aai jaiyo' set in Raag Maanj Khamaaj. Her young accompanist, who according to the announcement was also making her professional debut that evening, provided backup vocals. The effect was sheer magic and as the piece drew to a close there was a copious applause and a chorus of wah wahs echoing appreciation, following which the singers continued to sway the congregation. From his position in his corner Randhir listened spellbound, it was hard for him to pinpoint its exact source- was it the seasoned voice of the diva or were they the honeyed notes exuding from behind the veil? 

As he noticed the musicians and singers disperse for a break, there was a clamour in his head, he was not sure he wanted to assume professional responsibility so soon but it was too late to back out now, it was a question of the family's prestige. He stepped outside onto the balcony to clear his head and lit a cigarette, as he watched a gentle rain descend onto the lawn. He was half way through his smoke when he sensed a presence behind him; he turned to see the same girl with the veil drawn over her face as she spoke to him "Aap musroof hain, hum dakhl dene ke liye maafi chahte hain. Lekin aap guitar bahut umdaa bajate hai, kya aap humare pehle nagme mein humara saath dijiyega? Hum vaha aapka intezaar karenge'' (Sorry to disturb you when you are busy. But you play the guitar so well, would you accompany me for my first song? I shall wait for you there). She told him the song she was performing in the next half hour, expressing hope that he knew the chords. Before he could respond she was gone. As if in a trance Randhir swept through his phone for the input he was looking for.

As people prepared to enjoy the debutante's solo they saw Randhir whispering to the compere who briskly announced that he would join her on the stage. As his fingers struck a fervent prelude she began voicing the lyrics of the song 'Mora saiyaan mose bole naa'

Saawan beeto jaye piharwa- Monsoon, the season of love is passing by in vain, my beloved

Man mera ghabaraye- My heart is laden with anxiety

Aiso gaye pardes piya tum- You drifted away to a far off land

Chein hame nahi ayein- Leaving me so restless

Mora saiaan mose bole na- My beloved does not speak to me

Main laakh jatan kar haari- I gave up after pleading with you a million times

Tu jo nahi to aise piya hum- Since you are not here, my beloved

Jaise soona aanganaa- The courtyard and home feels barren

Nain tihari raah nihare- My eyes await you eagerly

Naino ko tarasaao na- Do not make them suffer so much

Mora saiyaan mose bole na- My beloved does not speak to me

Pyaar tumhe kitna karte hein- How much I love you

Tum ye samajh nahi paoge- You will be unable to grasp

Jab hum na honge piharwa- When I cease to exist

Bolo kya tab aaoge- will you return then?

Mora saiyaan mose bole na- My beloved does not speak to me

The spell was broken by another thunderous applause that refused to stop. As they bowed their way out he saw her turning toward him and offering a salaam, a sign of her unspoken gratitude as he had complied with her request, and then she was gone. For the rest of the evening no matter how hard he tried he could not get away from the gaggle of his young friends, especially the pool of heavily made-up estrogens who refused to part with him.

By the time the event was over and people dispersed, he noticed that the musical troupe has already left the venue. He knew where he would get his answer; he walked over to the security desk and asked to see the non-guest manifest. A single name caught his eye, listed toward the end of the scroll. It read Yasmeen Al Isra.

Jamuna kinare mora gaav- Prabha Atre- Raag Maanj Khamaaj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPj8nRdJ3B8

My personal favourite version of the above song is by Mukul Shivputra, even if you don't enjoy Hindustani Classical music do try to listen to his complete rendition at least once. Very soulful singer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exX364lveFA

Included at the opening of the chapter:

Mora saiyaan mose bole naa- Shafqat Amanat Ali (Fuzon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQm7-m0vqNk