Waking up the next morning to an empty bed made me panic for a moment, my wolf wanting to jump up and go find her mate but I reeled her back and forced her put. Stretching my arms above my head I smile and get up. I felt so rested, so much better than yesterday, but I have a feeling if I don't see or hear from Preston in about an hour or more it won't feel as nice. I will be panicky and need him near me. 

Going about my business I grab some clothes and leave for the bathroom, hearing either mom or Brayden in the kitchen cooking something. Hopping into the shower I hum quietly as I wash up. Even though today was doom day I couldn't find myself to be depressed about it. Maybe it was because Preston claimed me, or because I'm finally connected to my wolf, it was rocky but we were still connected. No matter what it was I felt great. 

Once I'm all shaved and cleaned I get out of the shower and towel dry off. Changing into my clean clothes I brush my wet hair and leave the room. Still humming I place my dirty clothes in my already full hamper and leave the room. Since I have come one with my wolf I don't need my glasses or contacts anymore, my sense of smell was amazing too. I have smelt things that I never have before, and my skin was a little sensitive too, just drying off with the towel caused my skin to get irritated. 

When I reach the kitchen I'm surprised to see my mom cooking, French toast with scrambled eggs and bacon. I must have made a noise because she whirls around, the spatula in her hand about to flip the French toast over. 

"Oh, good morning Deidre," She says with a soft smile on her face. 

I don't say anything, too shocked to talk. I just stare at her with a half apron on, her hair pulled back into a messy bun her hands a little stained from cooking the eggs and bacon and French toast. We could have been twins; she looked so much like me. She looked like the old her too and that brought a smile to my face. 

"Happy birthday, I made your favorite. French toast always was your favorite, you like it don't you?" She asks worriedly, taking my silence as a bad sign. 

"I love it, thank you." I say making my way to her and hugging her just as a crash came from behind me. 

Turning I see Brayden hurrying to button up his shirt, his hair messy and jeans a little wrinkly. It looked like he just woke up a minute ago, and he looked panicked. 

"I am so sorry Dee, my alarm clock didn't go off and it smells like you've already cooked your own-" He stops rambling when he sees me standing with mom by the stove, she had turned real quick to flip the toast over. He just stares at her like I had just a minute ago. 

"Mom cooked breakfast." I point out after a minute of silence. 

Brayden is still wary of our mother. He's been tense ever since she started eating with us at dinner. She has tried to talk to him but he mostly ignores her or answers her with one word. She knew that it was going to be hard at first but she didn't realize just how hard it would be. We had started talking at dinner since Brayden wouldn't answer her and he didn't understand why. 

After the first night of having her at the dinner table with us he immediately questioned me after we had said goodnight to her. I tried to tell him about her changes and swearing off alcohol but he wouldn't believe me. Only said it was a onetime thing, but what he didn't count on was the bars not calling all week and her return at the dinner table every night. I knew that they had to have a talk soon and maybe I can help with that today.  

For some reason I feel like they don't have a whole lot of time to talk things through, that time was running out. It was technically for me since I didn't know when my father planned to attack. But I felt that if something did happen to me the small connection that she and Brayden have will vanish and she will truly be on her own. I wanted to help her set things straight.