Three

Blue eyes popped open to the sound of the attendants nasally voice over the intercom. Louis rubbed at his tired peepers and yawned, stretching out the airplane chair cramps as he tuned in to what the woman was saying.

"-Apologies for the severe turbulence during the flight, we will be landing in New York in approximately 20 minutes."

At this his eyebrows shot up in surprise. He had slept through severe turbulence? Louis smacked his dry lips together groggily and realized that he, in fact, was exhausted. Harry had worn him down from the bright spark of a man he used to be, to a weakly glowing ember, paled from lack of rest. The moment he had been seated on the plane his eyes had fluttered shut, the city below blurring into a vision of dreams and darkness. Now he felt slightly more refreshed, but still aching from sleeping sitting upright.

He sleepily gazed around at the other passengers and nodded kindly towards the young girl peeking over the back of her seat at him. With a final yawn and three quick blinks he forced himself awake and raised his arms to pull his bag from the overhead compartment. His fingers briefly lost grip on the suitcase and it was enough time for it to lose balance and fall down onto his stomach with an audible thud. His lungs emptied of air as it winded him and he wheezed for the oxygen he had just lost.

"God Dammit!" He gasped, gripping the heavy bag with both hands. He heaved it from his lap and grimaced, lungs still burning.

The girl who had previously been smiling at him from over the top of her seat jumped back in fright and lowered back down into her own seat. Great job idiot, Louis thought to himself as he heard her whipser something to her other regarding his mental health.

His crystallite orbs gazed out the plane window, watching intently as the plane lowered itself to the tarmac. A  small smile worked its way onto his lips as he caught sight of the beautiful city adorned by lights in the distance. It was the second most beautiful place that he had ever seen, the first being Paris and that was only because he kissed Harry under the Eiffel Tower.

A shiver danced a tango down his spine at the thought of Harry. He cherished the memories of peaceful, loving Harry who had a knack for being romantic; who took Louis places he never would have dreamed of going. He wished he could regret running away, but who would he be to regret escaping from a mentally unstable boyfriend such as Harry?

A crazy person, that's who, he thought to himself as the passengers around him began to depart from the plane.

Lugging his bag behind him he grimaced, regretting that time he pulled the wheels off of it due to his claim that only lazy people needed wheely suitcases. He lugged it down the passageway filled with rushing people and watched with longing as the other passengers emerged from the noisy white tube only to fall into the arms of awaiting loved ones, smiles lighting up their faces.

His heart panged dully in his chest, watching as the crowd around him laughed and leant in for kisses and hugs, the only exceptions in this crowd being himself and a woman who looked as if she had been crying recently. He sent her a weak smile which she returned before scurrying off in the opposite direction.

He ran his tongue over his dry lips and sighed, trying to ignore the happy cries of the bustling groups as he pushed through, a solemn expression the only one that felt real to him in that moment. His blue eys were hazy and his body was heavy on his tired legs but he pushed through, baggage control and the other airport regulations passing by him in a blur.

Then he he finally set foot out of the airport, eyes blinking at the change of lighting and heart aching but hopeful. He planted his suitcases on the ground with the determination of a movie character and hailed one of the many yellow taxi's circling the airport like ravenous vultures, a brave look on his face though his eyes were pools of nerves.