Tars said, "Can we trust, Geslo?"

"Since the Healing Talk, Kai and I have spent more time with Geslo. I believe he would do anything to show others that he is a good person for Flat Rocks."

The conversation expanded to include everyone at Flat Rocks. People were in agreement that it was time to start a new bode, but most were reluctant to leave Flat Rocks. This changed when Esri announced she would be going with the Parting to find a new place for a bode. People who had never imagined leaving the safety and abundance of Flat Rocks began to view the Parting as a more compelling opportunity.

Approaching the Violent Ones again to join Flat Rocks was another matter. Most wanted nothing to do with the Violent Ones and thought, anyway, it wouldn't work. Geslo's Healing Talk had helped people become more comfortable with him, even some who were captives of the Violent Ones were starting to interact with him. But Geslo came to Flat Rocks of his own will and begged to be allowed to live with them and had done nothing wrong since.

Nat said, "Ulun will never be like Geslo. Ulun will never pledge to the Agreements. But I have thought about it and I understand. It's better if he doesn't go away and we know where he is and what he's doing."

Esri took Kai aside. "Let's talk to Geslo about Ulun. Maybe he can help us. And bring Piram too."

"Piram? You don't like Piram."

"Since Dagan was killed, I've tried to think differently about Piram. He still says things I don't like, but he hasn't bothered Wilki and he has a better understanding of people like Ulun than many of us."

Kai said, "Piram grew up in a bode similar to the Violent Ones. He never talked about it very much. When I was little I didn't like that he was mean at times, but he did teach me a lot about hunting."

Piram was surprised when Esri asked him to come with her. The three took Geslo for a walk. They went to Dagan's grave by the golden rock and the four unlikely collaborators came up with a plan.

Geslo said, "Ulun must be made to believe that he will gain something for himself. He thinks of himself as a great warrior. He kept talking about Dagan, how he had never seen anyone hold off so many for so long and so calmly. You know he comes here to Dagan's golden rock and sees how the buffalo carving grows as many honour Dagan. I think Ulun is starting to feel his age and would like to know that he'd be so honoured when he dies."

Esri said, "If we promise to bury him well, will he pledge to the Agreements?"

Geslo laughed, "I doubt it will be that easy, but maybe if he thinks that somehow, in time, he can get control of Flat Rocks, he might agree. Though he and the others talk about walking to the Land of the Rising Sun, I think Ulun would rather not try to start a new bode someplace far away. "

Esri said, "So, if he felt he'd have a good burial and a place on the Elders Council?"

"That might be enough for him to pledge to the Agreements, but he'll never agree to a Healing Talk."

Esri queried further, "What about others around Ulun? Would any of them join us to start a new bode and pledge to the Agreements? Would they do a Healing Talk?"

"I think there are others who would leave Ulun if they could. The Agreements are good. If Ulun had no power over them, I think others would pledge the Agreements. It will be hard for them to do a Healing Talk, but maybe some could in time."

Kai said, "You did it."

"I didn't want to. You remember at first in the Healing Talk? I didn't want to talk about the bad things I had done. I was ashamed. I wanted people only to know the new Geslo. But I was lonely. No one at Flat Rocks wanted anything to do with me. People don't forget when you hurt them or those they care about or hear you've done bad things. You can't change what happened in the past. The Healing Talk helped me understand what I could do to make things better for those I hurt. Ulun and some of the others don't think there is anything wrong with hurting people."

Piram said, "It will make a difference who talks to Ulun and how."

Kai said, "It needs to be someone who is like Dagan. Maybe Tars or Barsa."

Piram said, "And no women. Ulun does not listen to women."

Geslo said, "And I shouldn't go. I'm sure Ulun wants nothing to do with me. You're right, Piram. Ulun is not good to women. He does listen sometimes to his mate, Carthan. Esri is good with our way of speaking. She could go and . . ."

"...talk to the women," said Esri.

"Yes, exactly. Try to speak with Carthan."

Kai said, "Do you think Ulun can be convinced to join Flat Rocks? And if he does, it will be hard for you, Geslo."

"I understand why it's important to try to control Ulun and to know what he's doing, but I worry how he might change Flat Rocks. We have to be careful. As for me, if Ulun comes to Flat Rocks, I'll go with the Parting. Or if he goes with the Parting, I'll stay here," said Geslo.

Esri said, "Before going to the Violent Ones' bode, maybe Dagan can help us. If Ulun sometimes visits Dagan's golden rock, some from Flat Rocks could wait nearby for Ulun to come and speak with him there first."

Piram nodded at Esri and to her surprise said, "Yes, Ulun may speak and listen better with fewer people around and in the shadow of Dagan's golden rock. We can watch for Ulun and make a group to meet him that is only a little larger than his. It may be just him and Hanu or Otom. So only this many of us go." He held up 4 fingers.

Geslo agreed, "It would be good to speak about Dagan with Ulun. And before a large group goes to the Violent One's bode, Ulun should know that Flat Rocks is planning a Parting. It will start him thinking about how to use this."

Piram grinned. "We should make it seem like we weren't going to tell him about the Parting."

"I can do that. I'm good at saying too much," said Kai. They laughed.

The four returned to Flat Rocks, conferred with the Elders Council, and set plans in motion to engage with Ulun.

A small group kept a discrete vigil near Dagan's golden rock. In a few days, they saw two people cautiously approaching the rock. It was Ulun and Hanu. Tars, Piram, Barsa, and Kai crept away from the watching spot and circled around to appear as if they were coming from Flat Rocks. They moved casually toward Dagan's rock.

Kai dropped his spear and ran ahead to Ulun and Hanu. "We're not here to fight. We're here to honour Dagan. If you put aside your spears and flints, we'll put aside ours."

Ulun glared at Kai and looked behind Kai at Tars, Barsa, and Piram coming nearer. From Ulun's observations, he knew that Tars and Barsa were among those strongest against killing. Ulun didn't trust Piram, but knew he listened to Tars.

Hanu moved to leave. Ulun said, "We stay. Our ways are as honourable as yours." He turned and walked toward the golden rock, struck his spear in the ground after several steps, signaling Hanu to do likewise. Ulun sat down in the shadow of the rock.

Kai turned to Tars, Barsa, and Piram and nodded. The four sat a short distance from Ulun and Hanu. Initially, the six men were quiet. Then the Flat Rocks men sang and chanted songs of Dagan's bravery and prowess as a hunter. While they sang and chanted, Kai stood and worked on carving the buffalo.

Ulun and Hanu didn't stay long after the singing ended but long enough for Kai to have a few words with Hanu, asking after Riga, and letting slip about Flat Rocks planning for a Parting to happen soon.

Ulun was subdued. As Barsa spoke again of the Agreements. Ulun looked coldly at him and motioned to Hanu that they should leave.