Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Colton

            Free period was almost over and Sarah and I have been searching for Skylar the whole time. Sarah came to find me after Sky raced off to the office after muttering something about the new teacher being our father. I didn’t believe, why would he do something so dumb? He seemed like a smart man, even if he is an awful person.

          I was worried sick; thoughts of terrible things that could’ve happened to her racing through my mind at warp speed. I could barely get a hold on what I was thinking before the next thought pushed its way into my mind.

          The whole time we were searching Sarah had her small hand clasped in mine, holding on tightly fearing the same things I was. Where’s my baby sister? Skylar, where are you? I was pleading helplessly in my mind, but even throughout all of this I knew she was okay. I didn’t feel off or as if I was missing something; I felt whole, but not whole enough. I felt Sarah squeeze my hand again as I sighed sullenly.

          “We’ll find her, she’ll be okay, I know she will be,” She tried to reassure me, “Sky is no longer with Jace; she’s no longer in immediate danger.” Even though I knew her words were supposed to make me feel better, but from what I heard from Brett about how Jace was beyond pissed I knew he wouldn’t leave the break up where it was. He would find her, I know it.

          “He was pissed Babe, he almost punched her in the face,” My voice was coated in worry and anger, “He isn’t going to leave it at ‘I just don’t feel that way anymore,’ we both know it.” Sarah just nodded and kept checking every direction for any sign of Skylar. She wasn’t in any of the classrooms or closets we have check nor the underneath of the stairs and bleachers. I don’t know where to look.

          “Hey, we still haven’t even checked the old classroom’s in the C-wing.” Her voice was hopeful and I could tell she had seen my distressed look. I nodded wordlessly in response. She began to tug me down the rest of the B-wing toward the first classroom – 106C. I sighed for what seemed like the millionth time today; what my mom had said before was putting me on edge, and I didn’t like it. She wanted us together at all times, or at least in touch with other. I haven’t seen her since the beginning of free period and I knew Sky wasn’t one to miss lunch after this period either. She had to show up eventually; at least that’s what I kept telling myself.

          Despite how much she annoys me or how much I annoy her, she’s my sister, my twin, my other half and I know I’d be utterly lost without her sarcastic-bitch-tone. “I don’t know what I’d do if we can’t find her…” I was holding back tears. Stop it, I thought. Man up. I took a deep breath and got rid of the tears that were building up. I won’t cry, I won’t think the worst; I refused.

          We slowly passed the discolored blue lockers that lined most of the walls. The white paint on the empty classroom doors were peeling and it seemed that none of the janitors have been down this hall since we lost all the teachers that used these rooms. The teachers were laid off – in other words, fired – because of the major budget cuts. We lost a lot of cool classes like Latin, Rock’N’Roll 101, The Creation of Gaming, and Crime Scene Investigations. There were so many of them; classes for all kinds of kids who needed a bit of an outlet at school. I used to take a class that taught self-defense. We spent the whole class punching each other and the teacher, who wouldn’t love that.

          Finally, after passing multiple locked doors and dark rooms, Sarah and I came upon a lit up room in the distance and saw a figure exciting the C-wing to the courtyard for lunch. The floppy blonde hair proved my suspicions. “He was here,” whispered Sophie, I nodded acknowledging that I saw him too.

          “Let’s go to that room he came out of,” We both rushed toward the lit up room to find Skylar standing there, a worried yet happy look on her face. When she noticed us, the worry was replaced with surprise.

          “Wh-what are you guys doing here?” Skylar stammered over her words. I could tell she was not happy to see us, but she was trying to disguise that with a smile.

          “We came to find you, we were worried Sky,” Sarah’s soothing tone rang through the room.

          But mine was not soothing, mine was angry, “What was Jace doing in here? Did he hurt you? I’m going to kill him.” Sarah placed her hand on my arm trying to calm me done.

          “Don’t you dare touch him, Colt, he didn’t do anything wrong. He wanted an explaination and that was it.”

          “What did you tell him.”

          “I told him that my mom didn’t want me dating him anymore so I could focus on school,” She said, but I could tell she was lying. Everyone has that one tick that makes it easy to tell when you’re lying. Hers just happens to be that she scrunches her nose slightly; it looks like a twitch to anyone that doesn’t know her as well as I do. And from the looks of it, Sarah believed her; I guess she doesn’t know her as well as I thought. I eyed Sky suspiciously, but didn’t say anything.

          “Well, good, you don’t need him; let’s go.” Sarah had linked arms with Skylar and they walked out of the room. Sky looked relieve, but when she saw the look I was giving her, I knew she knew I didn’t believe her and that’d she’d get an earful later. She smiled weakly over her shoulder and continued out the door and I shortly followed, reluctantly listening to the girls gossip.