Chapter Three

This is, again, a boring chapter. Basicallly just trying to get it back to where the Epilogue left off. It'll get better, I'm in a writing slump.

_______________________________

Chapter Three

Colt and I walked through our front door and dropped our backpacks on the floor, “Mom! We’re home!” Colt called out. My mother poked her head around the corner from the kitchen, her hair was held up in a messy bun and her face had a fine dusting of flour on it; I inhaled deeply.

“What’s cookin’ good lookin’?” I joked as I walked into the kitchen and took a seat at our old rickety table.

“Cookies!” She said enthusiastically and then beamed in our direction. I laughed and looked at Colt who was rolling his eyes yet smiling.

“You know you’re a bit unpredictable, mom,” He said as he flipped through his Hemlet book looking for quotes to put into his five paragraph essay. Mom just chuckled and set the timer for the cookies.

“Isn’t that due tomorrow?” I asked Colt who was hurriedly trying to find the right quotes. He nodded and didn’t take his eyes off the book. Mom made a ‘tsk’ noise when I rolled my eyes. Pft, procrastinators, I thought. Since I’m such a studious person, I finished all of my homework in study hall, I’m that fantastic. And modest.

“You guys normally don’t sit in the kitchen…ever,” Mom observed standing over me wiping her hands on a rag. “What’s up?” How exactly are you supposed ask you mother why you aren’t allowed to go near anything with a dragon on it? Specifically men. I mean, I could just blurt it out….right?

“Since Skylar over there is have an internal battle with herself, I’ll answer you,” Colton said when he finally looked up from his book. “Why aren’t we allowed near dragon guys?” An emotion quickly flashed in my mom’s eyes, but then vanished before I could figure it out.

“Uh, um, well…” She stammered.

“And more importantly,” Colt continued, “Where’s dad?” This made her mouth drop wide open, fear and hurt filled her eyes, she wasn’t ready to tell us. But we sure as hell were ready to hear it.

“You can’t hide it from us forever, Brook,” I said, using her name which we only ever do when we are being completely serious. She nodded slowly. Mom went on explaining what happened to her about seventeen years ago. Colt and I sat there deathly still trying to take it all in; rape, love, more rape, deaths, murderer, a cult, love, betrayal….everything she had gone through when she was only eighteen years old…or really seventeen. Mom was in tears, but she tried to go on taking deep, shaky breaths. Even I was in tears, it was so hard to believe that this could ever have happened to someone so kind and loving and Brooklyn.

“E-Excuse me kids, I’ll be right back,” she whispered as she gracefully went to the back door and stood on the deck.

“Do you think mom’s lying?” Colton asked me.

“No, she never gets that…emotional. But it explains a lot. Don’t you think?” I retorted wiping my eyes with a napkin.

“I guess, but-“

“But nothing, she’s our mother, and she’s trying to protect us for some creepy raping cult.”

“I love her just as much as you do Sky, but why should I live in fear as she does and as you will?” Colt argued as Brooklyn walked back through the door.

“Because, Colt, if or when they find us, Skylar was get…raped and you will be taken and brought into their cult like all sons are supposed to. Once you get that dragon tattoo, its all over. For me, you, and Sky.” Mom’s book scared us both.

“D-dragon tattoo’s?” I asked scared, “That’s why you wanted us to stay away from dragon men when we were little?” She nodded grimly; my face paled. “No. No. NO.” I whispered forcefully.

“Honey…Sky…Skylar? Are you okay?” I felt a warm hand land on my shoulder, “Sweetheart, what’s wrong?” My mom’s buttery-sweet voice drifted through the air. I began to shake violently.

“It’s her boyfriend, Jace, mom,” Colt said, his voice dripping with concern.

“What about him?” She started to get more and more agitated wanting to know what the big deal was. I felt their eyes on me, burning into my head, trying to tell me it was okay, but I knew it wasn’t.

“He’s got the tattoo mom…” I muttered incredulously. I heard her gasp and let out a sob.

“No, it can’t be. I thought I lost them…I should’ve known they’d find us.” She mumbled and started pacing. “They’re back. They can’t be back, but they are. You guys need to be careful…and you, Skylar, need to dump your boyfriend as soon as you can. Colton, you need to make sure of that.”

“Mom. Mom. Mom! Brook!” Colton and I yelled in unison. “Breathe!”

“How can I breathe! My daughter is in danger and my son is going to end up leading a life of crime! I can’t let that happen! I won’t let them touch you! I’d rather die!” I rushed over to my sobbing mother and wrapped my arms around her, giving her a reassuring hug.

“Shh, it’s okay, we’ll make it,” I consoled.

“And if anyone comes near us, I’ll kick their ass!” Colt yelled holding his fists up like her was some kind of bad-ass boxer.  A silence fell over us, none of us knowing what could possibly make the situation better. I don’t think there is any way to make this situation better. I mean, a rape cult coming after your family isn’t exactly all rainbows and unicorns. I heard the oven beep and watched as Colt walked over and pulled the cookies out; the heavenly sent washing over the house. But, even with the smell of freshly baked cookies in the air, the tension and fear was still hanging in the air. We all knew this problem wasn’t going to go away any time soon, no matter what happens.